1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

coleus canina, scaredy cat dogs gone?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by dawnlouise, Mar 19, 2006.

1. dawnlouise

dawnlouise Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all, this is my first post i hope someone can help me.
    I am trying with great difficulty to keep my two collies off my bedding area. This is my second year of starting from scratch with many plants. The dogs keep trampling them down and it is very upsetting. Apart from the cost it's the time and effort that goes into looking afeter these plants.
    I have read an article about coleus canina also known as scaedy cat or dogs gone. They are supposed to produce a harmless smell that animals don't like. I was looking for them in a seed but the only place i can find them is in a plug plant from thompson and morgan. I was wondering if any one has heard of these plants or if anyone has any idea where i could buy them.
    Also i was wondering if anyone had heard of the curry plant, used for the same reason?
    I would love to hear from anyone that could offer me any advice, thank you for taking the time to read this
    Dawnlouise xxxx

2. rossco

rossco Gardener

head gardener/estate manager
    Ratings:
    +3
    the curry plant or HELICHRYSUM ITALICUM, has a strong scent, but dont know if it will keep dogs away or not.
    you could try SILENT ROAR its repelant based on Lion Dung available from SCOTTS of STOW, search google, I think they do mail order, it may also be available in good garden centres

3. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I haven't tried coleus canina, I have been wondering too if it works! I do have a curry plant and I have noticed no sign whatsoever of it keeping dogs or cats away- sorry!
    what I have been doing recently to protect a border with some new plantings is to put short lenths of rose prunings over it, and both are keeping off. Mind you my dogs are smaller, only Shelties.

4. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Coleus canina doesn't really work (not with our beasts anyway !!), I have overwintered about 1/2 dozen cuttings from last year. You could give it a go though, as your pets may not like it. I got mine last year from a local nursery, so I would suggest asking a good local nursery whether they plan on getting any.

We like the plant for the lovely box shaped pink/purple flowers that it produces mid summer.

The curry plant, we have also, but mainly for the lovely curry frangrance that whiffs up when we are in the garden ........ Makes you fancy a curry a lot of the time when you are gardening :D

Hope this helps

Nathan.

5. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172