1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Coleus

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by mazambo, May 28, 2020.

1. mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
    +3,718
    Hi everyone, my first year growing Coleus, they don't particularly seem to be doing much at all, I potted them on once and really haven't grown much, is there something I'm doing wrong? They are chocolate covered cherry and kong.
    20200528_193105.jpg 20200528_193059.jpg

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,629
    When did you pot them up, they should be growing pretty fast now.

3. mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
    +3,718
    They were sown 3rd March, think they were up in a couple of weeks but I got side tracked with other jobs and only potted them on a few weeks ago.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
      Ratings:
      +28,403
      Personally I would have potted them up into a smaller pot but light and heat for coleus are main factors for growth.

• Like Like x 1
      • mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
        +3,718
        Thanks I'll remember that for next year.
        I was thinking I left them in the root trainers far to long with no nutrients, they were in the greenhouse until a few weeks ago.

• mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
        +3,718
        This is as good as it's got for my coleus, can i overwinter these in my greenhouse as they are?
        20200831_121848.jpg

• pete

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,629
        I think you can overwinter them but you will need a greenhouse temerature of 15c to do it.
        A few on the window sill might be a better idea.

They really should have grown much bigger than that.

I remember growing them years ago and they romped away once the weather warmed up in summer, and I used them as bedding plants.

Maybe its the strain you are growing that remains compact.

• mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
        +3,718
        Thanks @pete they have a medium to fast growth rate so theoretically they should be much bigger,I think it's down to me them not growing well but I don't know why:scratch: the greenhouse is kept at 10° for the brugs do you think I could keep them in my thermostaticly controlled propagator? I could set it at 15° and they would get a more even temperature at night.

• Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
        Ratings:
        +6,097
        Something of a strange bunch are Coleus. There is a mixture of of some 150 varieties which include,half-hardy annuals, perennials and sub-shrubs. The decorative ones we tend to grow are often called,'Flame Nettles'. Due to the fact they belong to the Labiatae family, that include the nettles, and also having the characteristic squared stems.

Usually once the season is over, the plants are dispatched to the compost heap. To save, keep for the next year. I have found that, seed can be saved, however some plants from seed can be of little decorative value, most people being attracted to the mass of brightly coloured leaves.

Select plants that appeal to you. If possible take cuttings, mid to late summer. These will have to me cared for throughout the winter and colder days. Just the same as mature plants that you are saving. Pinch out any flowering spikes and dispose of. A method that I have used for many years, is the same as I do with selected fibrous Begonias. Having take cuttings, then either keep what's left of the plant or, cut the plant back and let it continue. I also cut back close to the soil level, and pack the root clump into tray, adding a light covering of compost. Just keep the compost a little on the damp side. Come the spring you will have a collection of plants at varying levels of growth.

• pete

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,629
        Yeah, propagator might work if ventilated and not allowed to get too damp and cause botrytis.

Personally, would I bother, no, I'd grow some new ones from seed next year in the propagator.;):biggrin:

When I grew from seed they would be flowering now and pretty much well passed their best, so try one as a houseplant through the winter, you can take cuttings then early next spring.:smile:

• strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
        Ratings:
        +28,403
        If I was to keep them for next year it would only on an indoor window sill where the temperature is normally around 15/18c in winter keeping them fairly dry. As @pete says it would be better to start new ones off from seed in the spring. I used to grow Wizard from seed when I was working and have them over 18" high in 6" pots by late July for floral decorating.It is the best seed variety.

• Like Like x 1
        • mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
          +3,718
          Well I didn't make a very good job of growing these from seed:heehee: but I'll give it another go next year.

• Like Like x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1