1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Colon Cancer

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by redstar, Apr 20, 2009.

1. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +10,576
    One of the women I work with, Terri, her sister just died yesterday from Colon Cancer. She was diagnosed a year ago. Terri has been on the mission since her sister diagnoses for fund raising and tell everyone how important it is to have a Colonoscophy. So for Terri's sister memory I am typing this here, to encourage all over the age of 50 to have one.
    Terri's sister' mother is still alive, she is 90 years old--poor dear.
    And for scared me---about the procedure--I will have to do it.

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Sorry to hear about your friend's sis.

My mother-in-law had colon cancer but thankfully survived it. Had it not been caught as early as it was the outlook would have been much less fortunate. She hadn't had any screening, she just went repeatedly to the doctors with ever increasing abdominal pain and kept being sent away with all sorts of remedies for mild gastrointestinal complaints, until one day she was in so much pain that they finally took it seriously and had a good look to see what was up.

That was a number of years ago. GPs are apparently more aware of these things nowadays, so the moral of the story is this: If there's any reason to think there's something wrong, get it checked out. If screening is an option then take it, but don't wait to be routinely screened. I look at it like this: once a year I put my car in for an MOT. When it comes out I know it should be ok, but if after a few weeks it starts knocking and banging I won't wait nearly a year until the next MOT, I'll get it booked in to be looked at asap. If we do that with a disposable inanimate object like a car, why shouldn't we keep an eye on our bodies just the same?

3. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    redstar, I'm so sorry to hear about your friends sister. Young too.

clueless, glad to hear your mother-in-law is well. Doctors have changed their outlook I think.

I've had this procedure and I won't lie, it does hurt but you have a sedative and doesn't take too long. Without wishing to trivialise this, it's also a very good cure for any 'bloatedness' you may have - I hadn't felt so 'slim' for years, :) I'm a wimp so if I can get through it so will you. Please don't hesitate about seeing you doc for anything that seems not quite right.

cheers