1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Comfrey again.

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by roders, Sep 30, 2021.

1. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +6,948
    I had to dig up some comfrey the other day and just wondered instead of putting it all on the compost heap I dug some of the leaves in around a few climbing Rose plants.
    What are your thoughts on this valuable plant food and is it a good idea to actually dig it in ?

2. Macraignil

Macraignil Super Gardener

Avoiding getting fired.
    Ratings:
    +774
    I have a number of comfrey plants that I tend to cut the shoots and leaves off when the flowers have finished and it usually sends up fresh shoots with new flowers after, when the weather is still warm enough for it to be actively growing. I don't really bother bringing it to the compost heap and just cut it up and leave it as a mulch on any bare spot of ground I can find near to where it was growing. As a mulch it seems to disappear fairly quickly and I assume the nutrients are incorporated in to the soil as it breaks down.

Might it be a better idea just to leave yours on the soil near the roses? I think roses benefit a lot from getting a regular mulch of organic material. I would be afraid of damaging the roots of the established rose plants when digging it in and don't think the digging would really help much with it breaking down as it seems to be fairly easily decomposed from what I see from my own garden.

Happy gardening!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,046
      I dig comfrey in before planting but for established plants use it as a mulch, at this time of year is perfect. You only need to cut off the top growth, leave the roots in the ground for next spring's crop.

• Like Like x 2
      • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
        Ratings:
        +3,035
        I harvest my comfrey bed about three times a year. I chop the stems and leaves up and put them in a plastic bin covering them with water and leave to soak until spring when I decant in containers for use as plant (mainly tomato) feed. I've made a filter for when I do the decanting as it helps catch seeds that haven't decayed and might sprout in the soil.
        When I first started making comfrey liquid feed I soaked in quite a lot of water and made gallons of the stuff, but it was heavy to lug about, so now I use much less water and produce a much more concentrated end-product that I dilute before applying.

• Like Like x 2