1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Comfrey

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by daisybelle, Jul 3, 2015.

1. daisybelle

daisybelle Gardener

Science tech
    Ratings:
    +48
    Thinking of growing a patch of this behind the greenhouse. Getting conflicting info though :s I tried to post links, but I don't have enough 'likes' apparently :(

So, seedaholics says "given the opportunity to reseed itself, it will do so generously so do choose your location with care."

But an eBay auction by prettywildseeds says "since comfrey doesn't throw out creeping roots and hardly ever sets seed — it's remarkably non-invasive for such a sturdy being."

I did read somewhere that you can get sterile comfrey, is that perhaps where the confusion arises?
    Oh, and can I plant now or should I wait till spring?

• Like Like x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      • Agree Agree x 4
      • daisybelle

daisybelle Gardener

Science tech
        Ratings:
        +48
        Thanks for that, got some ordered. I hope I can get them growing to crowd out horsetail...

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,162
        It won't smother horsetail, you'll have to deal with that first.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • daisybelle

daisybelle Gardener

Science tech
          Ratings:
          +48
          I've killed growth above ground with horticultural vinegar and will dig out what I can :)

• MostlyVegsSouthCotswolds

MostlyVegsSouthCotswolds Gardener

Ratings:
          +50
          I bought Bocking14 on Ebay myself last year, and took the precaution of growing it in large 12" planters.

This worked to a point, but after a few weeks it was clear it wasn't liking the planters, so just a bit of advice to plant it in the ground, not in a pot.

I can't remember whether I planted it out or disposed of it, as I've also got wild comfrey in my garden (behind the Greenhouse too), which isn't too much of a nuisance as long as I cut it back regularly and severely (I literally just cut off all visible growth)

• Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
          Ratings:
          +3,225
          Plant it where you intend to keep it for a long time. Don't do what I did and change your mind several times. I now have comfrey growing everywhere as a result.

:doh:

• daisybelle

daisybelle Gardener

Science tech
          Ratings:
          +48
          Hmmm, I've started it off in pots cos I need to keep spraying any horsetail shoots. I'll plant out as soon as I can though. There's a gap of 3ft ish behind the greenhouse, so that's where it'll be staying for the foreseeable, nothing else could go there really...