Coming along nicely

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Paul waterhouse, May 27, 2020.

1. Paul waterhouse

Paul waterhouse Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +28
    I might get used to this growing my own veg.

With the exception of my cornichon de Paris and dwarf beans everything else is doing great. Even my second year seed grow asparagus is doing well. I might even get to eat some next year.

Prep on the lawn is going well. A bit more stone clearing and 10 tonnes of top soil should see us ready to turf.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • LukeSlywalker

LukeSlywalker Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +6
      Hi Paul

Soon gets addicting doesn't it! Such healthy looking plants. Funny you should say your not having so much success with the dwarf beans. I'm having trouble as well, poor germination and the ones that have look a sickly yellow.

I've just started some asparagus off from seed, so I read in envy that your only 1 year away from a harvest!

As for the lawn, 90% of the work is in the prep but some good turf will set off your drive and house beautifully.

Only 10 tonne? :thud::biggrin:

• Paul waterhouse

Paul waterhouse Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +28
      My beans are very dwarf. Same as you germination was very slow. I started them in a propagator on the conservatory window. I still think they were wind damaged when I put them out during the day. I'm going to direct sow next year and see how I go on.

10 tonnes is to bring it up to the level of the drive.

• LukeSlywalker

LukeSlywalker Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +6
      I had the beans in modules in the polytunnel, so can't say it was the wind for mine. Like you, I think direct sowing is the way to go - In fact, I may even try them direct this weekend.

It's amazing how fast topsoil seems to disappear, and you always end up needing more that you think. :)