1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Common Ivy

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Raymond, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Raymond

Raymond Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I am fairly new to gardening and would appreciate some help on Ivy (which I think is either common variety or Hedera)

I have a very lage hedge (20-25 feet tall privet I think) at the bottom of my garden. Problem is this takes a lot of cutting. Is it possible to take some cuttings of the Ivy and train it to grow up the hedge, so stiffling the growth of the hedge but still forming some privacy, or would the Ivy die. I,m not worried about the hedge dying. The hedge really is too big to dig out so I'm wondering if this is a solution. Any help would be great,

Thanks for reading this,

Raymond

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Ivy in my experience will grow over anything - but to cover your hedge and stop if growing, methinks that would take toooooooo long.

Me - I would replace the hedge - you don't have to dig it out (though that would be best - the little man with a machine can work out cheap) - cut it down to ground level and apply a root/brush killer. Then put up a fence and clothe that with what would give you pleasure - including ivy. :D

3. Raymond

Raymond Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for your help Fran.

You have given me another option

Most grateful,

Regards

Raymond

4. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings: