Companion Planting for Passionflower?

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Arty Bee, May 28, 2022.

1. Arty Bee

Arty Bee Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    We have a common garden with two other houses. A very warm south facing wall belongs to one of them. We agreed to put passionflower on this without realising it needed supports. Our neighbour doesn't like to drill his wall. Is there another non flowering climber we could grow up the wall that the passionflower could then naturally use as support itself?

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +20,953
    @Berberis Aristata
    Ivy, the problem is most climbers grip by twining in one way or another, Ivy is self clinging as I think is Schizophragma this last flowers and can be slow.
    As an alternative to drilling could you glue battens to the wall and then screw into these?

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +84,396
      It doesn't sound feasible to me.
      Mainly because if you get a climber that can keep up with the speed of the passion flower one will swamp the other.
      I'm thinking if the wall was already covered in ivy it might work but in my experience ivy takes 5 yrs to get to the size you want it then the rest of your life trying to get rid of it. :biggrin:

Is the wall brick?
      A trellis fixed with a few plugs and screws in the mortar joints are not likely to cause any real damage and is easier to remove, at a later date, than many of the self clinging plants.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
        Ratings:
        +1,134
        Sunflowers can grow pretty big. So maybe with a little headstart they could be able to support them

• Arty Bee

Arty Bee Gardener

Ratings:
        +17
        He is a bit anal and generally against putting anything on. On a different section of wall there is already a form of virgin creeper that has very sparse leaves. I think maybe to try that. Or grow an ivy and them deliberately kill it and grow the passionflower on the remains.