1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Beginner - Hedge Planting

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Dmistry, May 8, 2020.

1. Dmistry

Dmistry Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello and Good Morning

I’m completely new to garden maintenance and was looking for some advice. I live within a conservation area and have a spinney area at the back of the garden that has little privacy as it is adjacent to a public footpath. I have a hollybush covering a partial part of the garden however there is about 40 metres I’m looking to cover with hedging.

Attached images show the existing hollybush however I’m looking to create coverage in the gaps against the iron wrought fence in the images.

Question is what is the best hedging if I’m looking to achieve 2m+ in height and also how easy are hedges to plant ? Should I get a Gardner in to achieve this ?

Many Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,204
    Hi,

Probably Green Privet would be the cheapest and quickest grower, though you are talking a couple of years to reach that height, it will need regular cutting !

Some other hedging plants need less maintenance but generally slower growing so will take longer to reach the height you want.

Its often said that buying smaller plants give better results than buying larger ones as they settle in better and so grow quicker.

Generally most hedging needs little special treatment when planting a correct size hole , some recommended fertilizer and removing any grass/scrub from around the planting hole.

Have a look at the online hedging places which have section telling you about their suitability and planting details etc

PRIVET, GREEN (Ligustrum ovalifolium). Hedging Plants, Trees, Shrubs and Conifers.

3. Dmistry

Ratings:
    +0
    That’s great and appreciate time taken to reply. I have a call in with the conservation officer to understand what type of hedge is permit table to remain in keeping with the area.

Once known it sounds like with correct fertiliser and right size hole it should be fairly straight forward. As I have about 40 metres to cover, do you have any recommendation on how far these should be planted apart and also as this is adjacent to an iron fence, how far away this should be from the fencing ( the fencing is not in great shape, so would want to reduce any risk of bearing too much weight on it).

Many Thanks

4. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,204
    Hi,

The company you buy from should advise on planting details and spacings once you decide in the particular variety.

You may even use several diffierent varieties to give a more pleasing effect, partiucularly if its viewable from your house ?

5. Dmistry

Ratings:
    +0
    Great Thankyou, think conservation officers have more of an interest for the appeal from the public (although hedge is on my land ) that’s a useful tip and will bear that in mind once I hear back from the council on what I can/cannot plant.

Many Thanks