1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Complete makeup of my allotment

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by pilotax, May 7, 2018.

1. pilotax

pilotax Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    Hi all,

around 6 weeks ago I posted my new allotment status and the project was to start to clean what I got. I started to hoe the ground, but initially, it was too wet and almost impossible. Two weekends ago we had a sunny warm weather and I wasn't in the UK. The same this weekend. The status of the soil is not good anyway, it is still hard with very rooted grass and other weeds.
    I've started to consider a complete make up like the following:
    1. remove all beds (they're made up by old bad timber)
    2. rent a cultivator and make the complete allotment upside down
    3. clean all weeds
    4. integrate some soil if needed
    5. dig some parallel grooves

I am not considering to use immediately all the space. I think that once the soil is made usable, it requires just regular maintenance to keep it soft and ready for sowing

What do you think? Am I completely crazy?

S

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,718
    I'm a bit old fashioned, I dont use raised beds, I just dig the area over removing weeds as I go, been a long time since I took on a new allotment, but that was how I started.

Since then it has been a case of just keeping it under control each year and not letting it get away from you.

Just do a small area at a time, and then keep it under, while at the same time moving on slightly.
    Its surprising how far you can get, but you have to be relentless, especially at this time of the year.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
    • OxfordNick

OxfordNick Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,615
      Im about a month in to starting mine - Im trying to split the time between sorting out the mess & clearing enough space to get things in ; I did think about borrowing a rotovator & going over the whole space but my gut feeling is that it would be back to weeds before I got around to planting it all .. also been removing some bindweed & other nasties that you dont want to spread around.. hopefully theres not too much of that to find. Removing all the old junk & endless small bits of plastic are the most annoying things at the moment.

• Like Like x 2
      • pilotax

pilotax Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +10
        The reason for doing so much in a single time is that I need to capitalize the cost of the rotovator/cultivator.
        I know weeds will come up again, but there are also ways to control them, like using black sheets to cover the soil and eliminate the light.

• Like Like x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,718
          I've always steered clear of rotavators, especially on weed infested areas.
          They just cut up the weed roots and spread them all over the place.

As far as I'm concerned there is no short cut, unless you are prepared to use glyphosate.

If you killed off the weeds first before rotavating that might make sense.:smile:

But that would mean leaving the ground untouched for about a month after application.

• Like Like x 1