1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Completely dumbfounded

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by silu, Jun 10, 2017.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    I have an old Sambucas Sutherlands Gold (see photo) which I took cuttings of about 5 or 6 years ago.
    The cuttings have or should I say! had grown to good sized shrubs. I prune them quite heavily every early Spring to get the good foliage (not bothered with the flowers). This Spring after I had pruned them and they had started to show new shoots we had quite a severe frost in about middle of April (not unusual). I saw that the new growth had been damaged, this has happened before with no ill effects and they normally just regrow. However this year 2 of the shrubs never produced new growth post the frost and are dead as Dodos and another started back into growth and is now dying back. The foliage is drooping and I reckon it's a goner too. 2 of the plants are in the same area but another is in a completely different part of the garden:scratch: A fourth is totally fine:scratch:. Does anybody have a clue what has affected them? I have other Sambucas (Black Lace) which are absolutely fine and the old Sutherland's Gold in the photo is also completely normal.....all very very strange and extremely annoying as the cuttings have got to a really good size and looked great last season.
    IMG_0844.JPG

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,686
      Sorry, can't help, but your garden is beautiful. Your hostas are stunning!

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,487
        Well, firstly your garden looks fantastic silu :).
        I had a similar problem with Sutherland Gold not growing in certain parts of the garden. Where my soil is richest it struggled. I also wondered whether alkalinity was a problem.....I used to use loads of mushroom compost and felt Sutherland Gold did not enjoy that. Frost was not a problem....mild winters here...so I would suggest physiological reasons, viz., something in the soil or about the situation it didnt like ...sorry Silu, bit of a mystery to me :thud:

• Like Like x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
          Ratings:
          +14,125
          Aww @silu lovely garden and I am now suffering from Hosta envy..! :thud:

The Sambucus are usually pretty easy to grow in moderately fertile, humous rich, moist but well-drained soils, but you know that I am sure and also thrives on extremely chalky sites, but I know they susceptical to leaf scorch in full sun. Do you think your little ones might have suffered like that.?

They also suffer from Verticillium wilt I see as well.. Verticillium wilt/RHS Gardening

• Like Like x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
            +17,487
            in my case I discounted Wilt. It was more about where in the garden they were planted. Leaf scorch would be seen in late spring and summer and is very noticeable and identifiable. Ironically, it grew well for me around the pool where soil was damp however it was too vigorous for the spot. For me a case I could not solve :thud:

• Like Like x 2