1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Compost bin layers

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by luciusmaximus, Jul 21, 2019.

1. luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
    Ratings:
    +6,899
    I have sited my compost bin this afternoon but looking online says to make the first layer of twigs, flower stalks, ,etc. I have very little of these at the moment. Is there anything else I could use? A layer of used bunny hay perhaps?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      You can use anything that is capable of rotting down, lucious:dunno::) I put carboard, paper, dead plant stems, leaves, cut grass. Bunny Hay would be ideal as it should have Rabbit poo and urine in it, all of which helps composting and rotting down while containing nutrients good for the garden.:thumbsup::)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
        Ratings:
        +6,899
        I knew I could use the hay but not sure if I could add it as the first layer to start it off. I have stuck some in on top of a few twiggy things :). If I get time today I will add more layers. Do you know how a compost bin with no hatch works ARMANDII?. My other bin is slightly larger but does not have a hatch at the bottom or any ventilation holes. I'm assuming that any turning or lifting of the contents is done from the top and that I would have to wait for the whole bin contents to compost before I can remove it??

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,836
        I, honestly, wouldn't worry about putting the compost in in strict layers, lucius:dunno::nonofinger: I now have three large plastic compost bins and put material in as it becomes available thereby making a mixture of stuff and did the same with my previous 35 year old compost. So, I would advice you to forget the layer method and just put your stuff on as it comes.:)

My previous compost heap, lucius, was completely open and only held in on 3 sides and gave me literally tons of compost over the decades. For a compost heap to work you need, (a) air (b) moisture to keep it damp (c) microbes to break the compost down which will be in the compost naturally if you add, say,, old used commercial compost or, as I do, a spade full of soil when you first start a compost heap If your compost bin is placed on soil then the bacteria will be introduced naturally from the bottom. My compost bins are placed on concrete slabs so I introduced the Bacteria by adding soil and old used commerical compost onto the first stuff I put in the Compost Bin. (d) You also need heat, but that is added naturally by the Bacteria as it starts to break down the compost. It's also a sign that your compost heap is working properly.
        There are many ways to make successful compost heap but, but like gardening, it's not always best to be influenced by an "expert" in a book. I tend to keep the lids on my compost bins open during the Spring, Summer and Autumn and I always check to see that they are not too dry.
        You also don't have to be too afraid, or selective, in what goes on the compost heap....just so long as it will rot down, amd os not food ewxcept salads etc.

My compost bins have large hatches at the bottom and I can examine the bottom portion through it and it's it's ready then I use it without waiting for the rest to be usable. Turning compost in a bin can be awkward, unless it's one of those types that can be rotated, so I never do. So long as you have introduced material that will rot down, don't let it dry out, and the Bacteria is doing it's job then things should be fine. You could add a commercial "activatoe" hasten the composting but it's only Nitrogen with trace elements so I would just let Nature get on what it does best.

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • luciusmaximus

Lost in the Wilderness
          Ratings:
          +6,899
          :ThankYou: ARMANDII for the advice and taking the time to write all that :phew:. My compost bins were free on Freecycle. The one has a hatch and ventilation slits, the other has neither. I've not seen a compost bin of that design before. I did start a compost heap last year but it's in the wrong location, not enough sun. I wanted to start another heap but I'm struggling to find a place that is large enough and sunny enough. I have almost filled my first bin already - 6 rabbits, 1 guinea pig and a vegetarian diet for me as well definitely helps :heehee: :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,836
            I think I might sound as though I'm throwing what you might consider to be the ideal rules on how to compost, lucius, out of the window, but you don't need a really sunny site. Why does the postion need to be sunny when all the action is taking place in the darkness of the inside of the Bin?:dunno::)
            I have friends who have compost heaps in partial shade, full shade and even under a large tree!!
            Two of my Bins are in the open because the position is easier to have at the end of the patio but not becasue they need the Sun to operate. The third bin is in shade most of the dayand works well. Heat will be provided by the bacteria when they start breaking down the material.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't forget to keep the compost from drying out and to keep it slightly damp to aid the Bacteria. It's good to hear you're starting to fill your Bins:thumbsup::yes::)

• Agree Agree x 2
              Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
            • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +9,233
              I agree with @ARMANDII ....

...why does a compost heap, or bin, need to be in the sun? :noidea:

All of our heaps, in various gardens over the years, have been under a tree canopy. This helps to hide them from general view. There’s at least one tree you don’t have to rake up the leaves from :heehee:, and if it’s an open heap, it’s easier to regulate the moisture levels.

For me, the main consideration is the ease of adding to, and emptying, the area.
              In our first garden, the heap was at the top of the garden, because that was furthest from the house. It was great when you were barrowing made compost around the garden. But I always seemed to be walking up the garden!
              Here, the heaps are at the bottom of the garden. That’s where the existing heap was, and is an area that is not baked by the sun. Yes, I actually avoid sunny sites, because I don’t want to be covering in the rain, or watering in dry periods. During droughts, every precious drop of water is for my plants, not my trimmings! Now filling the heap is easy, as I roll down the garden with my trugs overflowing with weeds, but moving the made compost is uphill all the way!

• Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
                Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
              • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
                Ratings:
                +21,267
                My compost heaps have been in places where they are out of general view (mine and the neighbours) and I'm unlikely to want or be able to grow much. So down the bottom against a couple of privet hedges, between two sheds against the neighbours fence and currently at the top of the garden, under a neighbours large ash tree on shallow rocky soil. Admittedly it is uphill and I need to add water at this time of year. It's home to a couple of pairs of grass snakes, successfully breeding most years and a colony of slow worms.

• Like Like x 3