Compost Bins

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by SpikeTheLobster, May 14, 2005.

1. SpikeTheLobster

SpikeTheLobster Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

Just thought I'd mention this: I got myself a compost bin this morning. I was going to convert a dustbin, but they were the same price...

Anyhow, when I got back from B&Q, I noticed the little plastic door was missing. I thought I'd search the web and see if I could report it and have them send another (being a lazy sod and no too close to B&Q). However, I found something quite different.

It turns out that many local councils are offering FREE (or cheap) compost bins. I paid just under �£30 for mine and could have had a similar one for �£5, delivered to the door by the council. Of course, I found out too late.

To check, just pop over to Google and do a search like 'compost West Sussex'. That should find it for your county - I know Lancashire is giving them away, for example.

Hope it's helpful.

2. slugbug

slugbug Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hear you didn't know about the council compost bin. We had leaflets from Congleton Borough Council Cheshire in our free local paper.
    Having not done composting before I chose the largest one on offer for only 5.00 and it comes will all the instructions.
    For anyone else interested before you rush off to B&Q contact the COMPOSTER HOTLINE 0845 130 60 90 calls charged at local rate.
    Hapy Composting all.
    Jacqui

3. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Hi.

Always used timber open topped compost frames and had to wait several moths for decent results.

Tried using a dustbin, all I got was a wormery and sludge.

Then my council in Wychavon sold composters for a tenner,so I bought one.

The process of composting has been so quick I keep begging my neighbours for their garden waste in an effort to keep it full!

Palidin.

:(

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,355
    I'll bring some round ;)

5. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Long push with a barrow from Kent :D