1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Compost mish-mash?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,605
    I am going to have a bash at the conifer corner today, see if I can't get it looking a bit better. I have a bit of a mish-mash of compost to fill the bed up with - used/spent stuff for the bottom, and then a couple of bags of last years unused stuff which is both MPC and ericaceous. I am not overly fussed what grows in there, and to be honest I am going to chuck a packet of nasturtium seeds in, knowing that they grow just about anywhere - but I was also wondering about putting in some stuff like malva zebrina and lavatera - would they be OK with the mixed composts?

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I think @shiney is growing Lavatera this year :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
      Ratings:
      +6,224
      I bought a lavatera from asda, bunged it in the 'acid' corner.. and some other Malva from seed dotted about. The lavatera seemed to be thriving before I went away and also chucked spent compost on top.. will let you know when I get back how they're holding up :thumbsup:

Zigs you on a guerrilla mission again :th scifD36:

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
        At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
        Ratings:
        +49,605
        I ended up not putting lavatera in - went for malva zebrina with three morning glory toward the back (hoping they will head off up the tree), and begonias at the front:

I posted these in another thread, but no matter I suppose...

Before:
        IMAG0074.jpg

After:
        IMAG0102.jpg

• Like Like x 5
        • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
          Ratings:
          +6,224
          The lavatera opened up today, it has tripled in size since chucking it in. Still waiting on the malva zebrinas..

• Like Like x 3