1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Compost sufficiently decomposed to deter rodents?

Discussion in 'How To Use Xenforo' started by Strawberries, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Strawberries

Strawberries Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I splashed out on an Envirocycle tumbling composter at the start of March. I chose this hard plastic closed design partly because of my concern about attracting rodents. It is filling up and I am considering emptying the contents into my open slatted compost bin to decompose further. Should I be concerned about the transferred contents attracting rodents? It is a wet mush of fruit and veg peelings and egg shells as I use the Envirocycle almost exclusively for food waste. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    Hello Strawberries. A warm welcome to Gardeners Corner.

So you practice composting. Good on you. These sealed containers. Just my thoughts, but to me. Using them is simply like dumping the waste in a bin, sticking the lid on and leave the contents to rot away. As you say. Your bin now houses a wet mush of whatever. So if left long enough, you will end up with a lot of smelly, mushy liquid. This to me is not compost, so IMO the task has been defeated. As generally expected from 'composting' is to have a healthy quantity of bulk material that can be added, dug into the plot. Alas, my dear friend. You have at present, what I would call, a mixture of liquid feed.

Yes. By all means turn it out and add it to your compost heap. It will continue to decompose and help the rest of the heap. Regarding rodents. And creepy crawlies. These all play a grand part in keeping our planet clean, so give way to them. They can actually help with making your compost.

Back to the liquidization of your waste. Try it out as a liquid fertilizer. Incidentally. Don't forget. Compost heaps need regular turning over.

Please keep in touch and we will help all we can.