composting rhubarb leaves

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Grassclipper, May 5, 2007.

1. Grassclipper

Grassclipper Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys, Does anyone know if its ok to compost rhubarb leaves (arent they supposed to be poisonous) also what about composting privet clippings (evergreen)?

2. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Hi Grassclipper, Hubby puts both on the compost heaps and we never had a problem. The rhubarb leaves are only poisonous if eaten.

3. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Lots of plants are poisonous Grassclipper, but only if you eat them/breath the smoke(oleander)/rub them into your skin. Once they've been composted and fed to the soil there isn't a problem.
    Rhubarb is fine on the compost heap, but will rot faster if you rip the leaves up otherwise they can form a 'carpet' and slow down decomposition.

4. Grassclipper

Grassclipper Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Kedi-Gato and Dave W for the tip I can now get on with composting these items. I've recently had one of those tumbling composters and found it v.good. It will compost in 4 or 5 weeks with a good mix, I then tip it out into an old seed compost bag (80 litres)and store it for use later when needed.

5. compostee

compostee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi grassclipper, i soak my rhubarb leaves first in a bucket of water, i leave it in to brew for 3-4 wks than use the resultant liquid as a spray for greenfly, lillies, brassicas and anything else that gets probs, mainly ornamental plants, but definately not on soft fruit etc. Then i compost the left over glump.