CONCRETE, COBBLES AND COMPOST

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by ARMANDII, Oct 22, 2018.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,834
    In a few weeks time the Landscaper who built the cobbled concrete Observatory base for me in 2015

[​IMG]

is going to tear up my concrete patio, the area to the rear of the 3 garages that border my garden, and the Gable End path leading from the front of the House to the rear and replace it with cobbles, (colour to be decided). That also means my 40 year old 8' X 8' compost heap

[​IMG]

is going too.:dunno::cry3::snorky: So along the South facing 3 garage wall you can see on your left, which is roughly 30' long x 10', and the ground area which will be cobbled, will be lined with a wooden two tier bench on which will be put about 40 large ceramic pots of my collection of Irises.
    But, because the garden always produces a large amount of compostable material
    I will need a fairly large compost bin of around 1600 litres to go against the fence where the present compost heap is now......something like this.......
    [​IMG]

Has anyone got something like this or smaller and what do they think of them? I could get a couple of smaller ones like this.......

[​IMG]

How good and effective are they??

• Like Like x 3
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,184
      Hi,

I built my own double wooden one from six 47x47mm posts and 100x19mm slats, treated; 4ft high and each bin 2 x 2 ft and lined it with heavy duty black polythene, lasted many years.

Its designed so one side of each bin can be totally removed with makes turning the heaps over very easy, one thing many of the plastic bins fail to address which surely make it difficult to get the compost out when they just have a small hatch at the bottom.

Would suggest you go for the largest you can fit in, you always end up with more than full bins this time of year.

Whatever you go for, would suggest you place some metal mesh on the ground to stop any vermin taking up residence.

I have a bay bush covering the front of mine so its quiet unobtrusive.

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,834
      Hi Ricky, my compost heap was constructed all that long ago by setting four 2" X 4" X 6' posts, treated with creosote, into concrete and then lining all sides, except one, with Chicken wire. I then lined the sides of Chicken wire with leftover pond liner underlay to prevent seepage of the compost on the the surroiunding area which has lasted all that time and has more than served it's purpose. But going back to that design would be impossible as I don't want to lay compost onto the newly cobbled area and my closely planted cottage style garden has no space for a new site that I'm willing to give up as plants have the priority in the garden over compost heaps. So the plan is to place two 800 liter plastic compost bins, on a base, against the fence which is at present hidden by the Compost heap and see if that works.

I do have a problem with that as I have at least 3 Hedgehogs who live permanently in the old compost heap, so when the guys come to dig it out they will have instructions to go carefully. Over the last year I've been making a now large pile of twigs, leaves, etc down in at the bottom of the garden in the Southeast corner and the Hedgehogs have been investigating it with interest lured by some food for them. So, hopefully they will take the vanishing of their present home well and move permanently into their new heap. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated:love30::thumbsup::snorky:

• Like Like x 3