1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Conditioning soil after conifers

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Damski, May 4, 2015.

1. Damski

Damski Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I have about 100 conifers around the borders of my property and am slowly chopping them down. The are very mature and are between 50 and 60 feet tall. I have removed all the lower limbs, some of which have been laying on the ground and have taken root.
    There is plenty of light getting in now and wanted to know the best way to condition the soil as I have been to conifers suck all the goodness out of the soil and not a lot will grow there.
    Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
    Adam

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,594
    When you say chopping them down do you mean pruning them or removing them?

3. Damski

Ratings:
    +2
    I am taking them down to 6ft so I can use the stump as posts to attach wire netting to them.
    There will be no branches on them at all.

4. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,594
    Right, I'm with you now. :) Conifers that tall will have created a huge root spread and I'll be surprised if you can dig the soil underneath them. You may have to cut off a lot of the roots before any preparation. If you can dig the soil over you will need to put as much organic matter as possible into it. If you have local stables then well rotted horse manure is a very good start, also compost to help condition the soil. If you are prepared to delay planting there is no need for grafting to dig this in, just spread it and worms will take it down for you. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      I cut down 52 12' conifers in the 80's that served as a fence at the bottom of my garden and also took out the stump and roots. That left me with a strip of acid, nutrient starved, basically lifeless, compacted ground in a generally alkali garden. I dug over the soil to break up it up and introduce some air into it and then emptied a entire compost heap on it. Then I left it for a while to let the worms etc do their work while putting any used commercial compost onto it over the year while throwing Growmore and Chicken Pellets over the area. I planted a number of shrubs into it the next year and they did well. But I think you might have more of a problem as you've elected to leave the stumps and roots in which will make it difficult to turn over the soil, introduce some oxygen into it, and dig in compost etc.

• Like Like x 1
      • Damski

Ratings:
        +2
        Thank you for your advise.
        I would love to get the roots out but I think it would be so difficult as some of the trunks are about 2ft wide and it would be such hard work trying to dig them out. If the soil is so acid would it be worth planting rhodies in this area?. I can get my hands a on cow manure, is that good enough instead of horse manure?.
        Thanks

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,594
        The Rhododendrons probably wouldn't survive there Damski. I'm not sure of the nutrients in cow manure. Perhaps you could post this question in the 'Compost and Fertiliser' forum for answers. :)

• Agree Agree x 1