Confetti bush looking the worse for wear

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by SusieD, May 10, 2021.

1. SusieD

SusieD Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Hi everyone. I have a confetti bush (can't remember the proper name for it) which is not looking too brilliant. The foliage seems to be going brown, almost like it needs water but I've been watering it regularly during the drier days, and we've had plenty of rain over the last few days as well. Can it be saved when it starts going like this or have I basically killed it?!

• Like Like x 1
    • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,318
      hi its latin name Coleonema pulchrum ... is it growing in a pot or open ground ... so would need more information on how big how old etc

Its a plant that needs shelter from cold winds as its originally from South Africa if it hadn't been watered as we never had much rain in April the combination of cold winds and dry at the roots is probably the reason its looking a bit rough, leave alone for now wait for new shoots and prune out the dead parts but dont go crazy cutting too much out ...

Spruce

• Like Like x 2
      • SusieD

SusieD Gardener

Ratings:
        +65
        Hi, it's in a pot, still quite small at the moment. I made sure to water it every two days but maybe I should have done it every day. I'm a bit wary of watering plants too much when they're in pots, it always looks like there's too much but I suppose it needs to soak into the soil so maybe I was starving the poor thing. My other plants seem to be doing ok, just this one that seems to be dying on me. It seems to be going brown from the bottom up.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +84,313
        Did you buy it recently?
        Its starting to sound like a newly bought plant that had been undercover and forced before you bought it.

• Like Like x 1
        • SusieD

SusieD Gardener

Ratings:
          +65
          Hi, it's a fairly recent purchase, had it maybe a month or so. It was bought from B&Q so maybe not the best quality. On the other hand the azalea I bought from there at the same time is looking gorgeous

• Like Like x 1
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +84,313
            Nothing actually wrong with the quality of B&Q plants.
            I'm just thinking that it had been forced into early growth and it wasn't hardened off.
            The Azalea is probably a hardier plant.

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • SusieD

SusieD Gardener

Ratings:
              +65
              Yes I think probably wasn't quite ready, there were only a couple there and I thought it looked pretty but the poor thing is really not looking well! Think I'll stick to azaleas, I've been looking for a yellow one

• Like Like x 1