1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Confused by my digitalis!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Kai, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Kai

Kai Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I bought some container grown digitalis about a month ago and planted them out. They were around 30cm tall with a few leaves but no other growth. No they've started to flower. I'm a bit confused because I thought they didn't flower this late into the year. Can anyone advise if I should leave them to grow or do I need to take some other action to ensure they show flowers again next year?

Thanks

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Hi Kai. I don't think you have to do anything. With this cold weather many things are out of sync. I still have some Hesperis matronalis (Sweet Rocket) in flower. Its a biennial and I usually lift it about June after flowering and replace it with something else - but I couldn't do that this year.

3. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I've got an ordinary foxglove (digitalis purpurea I think, the native wild one) which is supposed to be a biennial but has been alive now for about 3 years and has only just finished flowering for the first time.

Mine was confused because it was in a neglected container for most of its life, neglected, starving and barely watered, no way it had the energy to do its thing, until late spring this year when I planted the whole container (which also contained a neglected honeysuckle) into open ground.

I think after they've flowered and produced seed, their lifecycle is complete and they die. Unless its one of the perennial digitalis, but I know nothing about them.

4. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    As far as the perennial ones go, my D.parviflora is blooming again too. Stands about 40cm tall.
    DSC_3329.jpg

Last year D.lanata bloomed well into September.................
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
      Ratings:
      +6,654
      I have a very large Digitalis (a form of the native one) that's supposed to be biennial and its flowered brilliantly earlier this year and that should have been it; set seed and die but it's actually forming a new rosette of leaves around the base of the old flower stems!! :)

• Like Like x 1
      • loveweeds

loveweeds Gardener

Ratings:
        +210
        Hi Kai,
        to make absolutely sure that they will survive, cut the flowering stems off.
        But chances are that they make it into the next year anyway.

• loveweeds

loveweeds Gardener

Ratings:
        +210
        had a blue poppy which got lots of new leaves, right into late autumn, after it had flowered in the summer(and I didn't even let it go into seed) and it still died... I don't trust those new rosettes any more..Have some biennial Canterbury bell campanulas which have formed new rosettes too, now i am curious if they come again next year