1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

container perennials

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by robbo, Mar 30, 2006.

1. robbo

robbo Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Any suggestions as to what plug plant perennials i should buy to put into my containers preferably something that will be in bloom most of the summer. any help appreciated.

[ 30. March 2006, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: robbo ]

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Robbo, there are loads of nice long flowering perennials, many of which are tender.

I have recently seen in plug/very small plant format:-
    Tender perenials that should overwinter with some protection:= Geraniums (technically Pelargoniums), Fuschia (upright or trailing), Argyranthemums (Marguerites).

Tender perenials plugs that may not overwinter:= Petunia (upright or trailing), Diascia (lovely and robust for me) and Nemesia (like Diascia but not so robust for me).

Again in plug/very small plant form I have seen Phygellius (three colours), Salvia Black and Blue (superb but only flowers late) and Salvia Mystic Spires (new this year - dwarf version (18" - 24") of Indigo Spires (48") which I am told is superb and flowers from July till frosts. These are hardy border perennials, but ideal for containers.

Whilst I have not seen them as plugs I would also recommend Osteospermum and Heliotrope - both tender perennials. I have not tried the Phygellius and Salvias before, but I grew all the rest last year and they were all very long flowering.

3. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    try the catalogues - on-line is easiest -
    google T&M for their young plants section, Suttons, they're good for a start. ;)

4. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Robbo, if my selection seemed a bit odd, perhaps I should have added that all the plants mentioned, except for the Heliotrope and Osteopermum at the bottom, are perennials within the Kindergarten Plant range of plug and very small plants that are currently available at larger garden centres (certainly round me).

You mentioned plugs AND perennials. I tend to think of plugs as annuals, which you buy cheaply in bulk because they are disposable, but perennials last much longer and you can take cuttings from them, so you can afford to buy them singly for more. Did you really mean plugs and perennials.

5. robbo

robbo Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the advice theres plenty to choose from there will check out the garden centres. cheers

6. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    hi robbo,i suppose it depends on what you like.i love crocosmia, Lucifer, in pots (or anything)i have them in old chimney pots in my back yard .you can buy at wilkinsons (good price) and cos they`re bulbs(they`re less hassle,you can also leave these-dont have to dig up and overwinter- in the ground) they multiply and you can seperate about this time of year and double up.