1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Container Plants

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by morris28, Oct 25, 2006.

1. morris28

morris28 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello again,

Currently growing the highly fragrant "Amber Queen" Rose in an 18" / 12" container. It has just completed it's 1st year and has done tremendously well.

I suspect, however ,that with an anticipated height & spread of 75cm x 90cm (30in x 36in), the current pot will be to small too accomodate maximum growth expectations.

Aiming to transplant shortly, but would appreciate any guidance on the size of pot necessary to facilitate anticipated growth, without the need to further re-pot.

Many Thanks.

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Hi Morris28. I don't have a specific answer, but I have a number of large pots myself, and I have noticed that the larger the pot the larger the plant grows. It is obvious really. I grew Kochia this year for the first time from seed and at the end of the season I had, by chance, one in a small pot (grew 1 foot), one in a larger pot (grew 2 foot) and one in a big pot (grew 4 foot). They had all been fed and watered and the smaller ones were not obviously pot bound.

My conclusion is get the largest that you can manage. In my case its the largest that I can lift/move (and afford).

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    If your going to increase the size of the pot, I'd do it now to give the roots time to establish - and I would look to put it in the pot that it will remain in.

I don't know this particular rose, but if it will only grow to 3 foot, then its quite small - so you won't need a huge pot - but it will need to be deep, roses have quite long thick tap roots. The critical thing with roses in containers, is that they are greedy feeders.