1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Container sizes for burying these plants?

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Leanne2511, May 10, 2019.

1. Leanne2511

Leanne2511 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I have a border filled with awful water logged clay/debris filled in by the builders when my house was recently built. I've mixed in some top soil and compost but plants aren't thriving in this ground unsurprisingly (pictures taken before they started to wilt) I have lined above the clay and put white pebbles on top.
    I'm going to dig up these young perennials and re-pot them under the gravel so they don't get waterlogged in the clay and stand some chance of survival/growth. What size containers would you suggest? Or would burying a plastic grow bag work better?
    1. Erysimum red jep
    2. Heuchera
    3. Campanula lactiflora
    All 3 were bought in 2 litre plastic pots a couple of weeks ago so they aren't very big at all yet.
    Thank you!

IMG_20190505_121510.jpg IMG_20190505_121519.jpg IMG_20190505_121506.jpg

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Hi Leanne :)

I would go for 5 litre containers.....above ground level:) In other words placing them as attractive pot plants in their own right:)

However, there are plants that would thrive in those wet conditions.....astilbes for example. They have colourful early spring foliage, early summer feathery flowers and attractive foliage thereafter and enjoy wet conditions. There is a fantastic astilbe called Shogun that has amazing chocolate brown foliage. Astrantias too would do well there....pincushion flowers like little gems all summer long. Ferns too ....the Japanese painted ferns have wonderful bluish grey marbled foliage.....this would look sensational next to the aforementioned Shogun Astilbe. Also assorting well with these plants is a favourite grass of mine, hackonechloa, that would thrive there. Beautiful mounds that then cascade and move in the slightest breeze......yellow foliage, variegated foliage, green foliage and even some with red tints to them. Planting things such as these will save you an awful lot of maintenance and replanting and give you permanent enjoyment I think:)

• Like Like x 2
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,035
      I think ultimately you really need to improve the soil, I know clay can be a problem, but once you get it into a good condition its one of the best.

The plants you have put in, how long have they been planted? 2 weeks?
      I suggest the root balls have dried out, once dry, they are difficult to re wet, and two weeks is not long enough for them to have rooted into the surrounding soil.

I'm slightly confused as you say water logged and wilting.:smile:

• Agree Agree x 2