1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

container strawberry's

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by pinklady, Apr 20, 2006.

1. pinklady

pinklady Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone offer any advice about growing strawberry's (this will be first time for me!) I have bought a strawberry planter with 12 holes and a pack of 15 Loran plants. Do I start at the bottom with compost then work my way up putting one plant in each hole. I have a small greenhouse, would they do best in there. Do I have to do anything else with them once they flower or is it just a case of making sure they get plenty of sun ? Any advice would be much appreciated :confused:

2. ewal

ewal Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Pinklady I would plant a strawberry plant in each hole , then plenty of water. The greenhouse is not necessary. You could put a cover over them if it is going to freeze.

Ewal.

3. pinklady

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks very much, would you put one in the top aswell

4. ewal

ewal Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes by all means
    Ewal.
    I took a photo of the garden from the back door, here it is [​IMG]

5. pinklady

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, you could fit my garden into a corner of that!. It's enough for a beginner though. I'll have a look for a picture

6. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    nice piccy ewal, i don t suppose the pond is large enuff for a steam yacht?...... a nice project to contemplate over a pint......

7. wishaw

wishaw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have just ordered some trailing strawberry plants online and I was wondering what am I going to do for feeding? My dad back home he always uses horse dung on strawberries but this is not an option for me here (my dad has a horse, I don't). I have tried strawberries a couple of years ago and after three or four little flowers they just died on me. What't the best food for container strawberries?

8. pinklady

Ratings:
    +0
    I've read that tomato food is very good

9. ewal

ewal Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We grow ours in pots on an A frame, 4 rows of 9 each side, total 72. My wife says if you feed them, all they produce is leaf, so all she does is re pot them in compost & garden soil. On the frame they sit in aluminium trays, very easy to water.

Ewal.

10. ewal

ewal Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The pond was a swimming pool, but after the children left home I chopped 18inch off the top & turned it into a fish pond.

Ewal.

11. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    I bought one of those so-called 'Victorian' planters made of plastic with little half cups all over the sides. The instructions said to fill it with layers of potting compost and sand, placing the plants as it filled. The roots to be laid across the compost so the reached the centre where there is a pipe for watering. Well, I did it faithfully and the first year had a great crop. Subsequent years have been successively less despite attention. But what is flourishing is the massive bed of new strawberry plants deposited by the runners! They are producing heaps more fruit than the planter ever did.

The plants in the planter, of course, now need to be replaced but it's such a huge job to empty I just can't face it!

(PS I placed a small bit wide jam pot over the top of the pipe as it would fill up with snails and as those at the bottom couldn't get out for those at the top, they would die and I found strawberries don't much care for snail soup!!)

12. Ystalyfera

Ystalyfera Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    I found this webpage very useful - especially the container planting section which I followed. Using a piece of rigid tubed plastic I put this in the centre. I then filled around it with the compost and plants and then filled the tube with shingle and gravel. Pulled the tube up, and then had a neat central drainage section.

On the top I planted several plants which have all flourished whilst I think I may have damaged some of the plants I put in the side pockets as they were quite large when I purchased them.

The plants seem to have a 3 year cycle and all runners should be cut off in the first year and replanted seperatly

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_february_2_strawberry.asp

13. pinklady

Ratings:
    +0
    Just looked at the website you put a link to. I think mine had started with powdery mildew because since I planted them they've been in the greenhouse. It is really moist in there, well it's one of those tiny 3 tier things and it's full of stuff I've planted up ready to put out when its a bit warmer. I'm glad to say that I was right to pick the leaves off (3 plants with just a couple of leaves each) OOHHH I hope it doesn't spread :rolleyes:

14. Ystalyfera

Ystalyfera Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    I've kept mine outside since I had them as the cold hardening off actually helps the plant apparently.

I know what you mean about those three tier polythene greenhouses though - they are right sweat boxes.

Keep a battery thermometer in mine which records high and low temps and already this year it has reached over 50degree centigrade in there!!