1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Contributions towards tree felling

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by richard6298, Jun 24, 2022.

?

Should beneficiaries contribute to arborist costs?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. richard6298

richard6298 Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi. A new neighbour is about to move in at the back of my property. He took the decision to have the 20 conifer-type trees (some about 35 foot high) felled. He did that on his own account. Three houses (mine included) have benefited from the felling, our access to light is vastly improved and we now have a great view of the sky. I have no idea what it has cost to fell the trees (perhaps someone could guess). The question I have is would it be "proper" for us that have benefited to contribute to the tree felling cost? Thanks. Rich

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,483
      Not if the trees were growing on his property.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +45,989
        Why not just ask your neighbour what it cost and if you feel you should contribute then do so.

Personally I wouldn't contribute to any improvements in my neighbours property unless it was discussed and agreed beforehand.

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,212
          I'd be inclined to follow what the others have said. If they were his trees it tends to be part of getting their new property the way they want to. I don't know how much it would cost to do but it depends on a number of factors. Accessibility being a major one.

Six years ago I had 22 conifers removed but the access was easy and it cost me £900 to have them cut down and taken away and then have the stumps ground out. 18 month ago a 70ft poplar fell down and just to have that cut up and taken away cost £600 because the access to that wasn't easy. It had to be cut up and barrowed 300ft.

What would be neighbourly would be to invite them round for lunch or afternoon tea once they had moved in. They obviously don't expect you to contribute so a welcome and lunch would make them feel more settled. It's always good to start off on the right footing. :)

We did this when our new neighbours moved in a couple of years ago. Mrs Shiney also made them a welcome wreath for their front door - she does a lot of flower arranging.

• Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
          Ratings:
          +31,818
          No i wouldn't contribut,if you like what's been done then just say a big thank you when you see them :dbgrtmb:

Our Neighbour has spent a very large amount of money tidying up they place and they also sorted out the drainage problem to help with the flooding here when it was all finnished i sore the owner a thanked them for what they have done

I've just painted the house any one like to contribut to it, then i would like some new windows, then a new driveway then a garden make over then after all that a holiday please

• Like Like x 2
            Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,212
            You only needed to ask!

The cheque is in the post. :thumbsup:

• Funny Funny x 2
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
              +21,616
              Up to you entirely but don't feel obligated, they obviously did it for them, not you. You just happen to benefit from it.
              When I replaced my horrendous old tin fence with a new one my neighbour came up and had a chat about it. He eventually got round to his main point - what did it cost and could he contribute? A nice gesture but not necessary as it was my choice to replace it

• Like Like x 4
              • Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +2,981
                We removed the conifer hedges from around our present property to the benefit of ourselves and others. The most affected neighbour offered to help pay for the new fence but since they were our trees we thanked him and said no.

• Like Like x 3