1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

control the root spread of a conifer

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Simon Harris, Apr 24, 2021.

1. Simon Harris

Simon Harris Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hay all!

Trying to find the best way to keep goldcrest conifer roots at bay.

How large/wide/deep will they grow as conifer establishes itself? (I'll keep it trimmed at just over 5ft tall)

How about burying it in a pot? It will arrive in a 18l pot, I'd repot it into something larger, adding ericaceous soil, gravel, and then bury into the ground (which happens to be clay-based around here).
    Naturally, the pot will have drainage holes, and maybe even enlarge them to encourage root growth downwards?

What about root barriers as an alternative? Just trying to prevent them from going towards drainage pipes and/or house foundations.

Many cheers!
    Simon

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,608
    Hi Simon. :)

You say it's a Goldcrest conifer. Would that be Cupressus Macrocarpa? At maturity it's a large tree growing to 40ft in height and 13 - 18ft spread. The roots will spread as much as it's overall height and I would say planting it in a pot is not even a consideration. Even if that was the case it is likely to break through the pot looking for water. I doubt root barriers would work either. Also, keeping the tree height trimmed won't make any difference to the root growth.

To be honest having suffered root damage to pipes supplying my mains water and house foundation from a neighbouring Leylandii hedge - which grows to a similar height, I wouldn't consider planting this tree within 50ft of any utilities or building.