1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cordless vacuum how good are they?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by roders, Oct 23, 2018.

1. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +6,948
    We have had a upright Dyson vacuum cleaner for years ,can’t fault it.
    Now Dyson are no longer making uprights..........only cordless new style.
    So we are thinking our old one will soon be worn out.
    So how good are these new state of the art cordless vacuum cleaners?
    Are they really capable of cleaning large carpeted floors properly?
    The Which recommended is the Dyson(of Which there are several models)of course they are the most expensive.
    There are of course many other makes and models on the market ,all of which advertise how brilliant they are.
    They are certainly lighter in weight than lugging a large upright up a flight of stairs.
    Has anyone had experience with these?
    This does seem the way forward but I am not convinced...........yet.

• Like Like x 2
    • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
      Ratings:
      +30,610
      A friend of mine bought a Dyson cordless about 4 years ago. According to her, it is still really sucks and she has furry friends :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
        Ratings:
        +5,404
        @roders ... I have a Gtech vacuum, and small machine for the stairs, and they are lightweight and efficient. Also have a Gtech mower, hedge cutter and strimmer. These tools have made my life a lot easier. Getting extra bits and pieces for them is very easy from the Gtech shop online.
        Can`t recommend them enough.:blue thumb:

• Like Like x 2
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,552
          Having tried them out when shopping for a new cleaner I wasn't impressed. Some of them have the motor/battery at the top end of the handle and the weight of it made my wrist ache. I had the same problem with the swivelling base, it put too much strain on my wrist. There are very few upright cleaners available now particularly with a fixed base. I bought a Sebo online.

• Like Like x 2
          • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
            Ratings:
            +12,508
            Another vote for the Gtech. I was sceptical about a battery powered vac, but it is surprisingly good. Very lightweight and one charge seems to last for several sessions. It’s never going to lift the carpet, but it doesn’t seem to leave anything behind. Can’t speak for the Dyson equivalent, but it does look a bit unwieldy.

• Like Like x 1
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
              Ratings:
              +5,404
              Did you mean the Dyson cleaners @Sheal ?

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +16,246
              I have never used the Dyson cordless . But two people I know swear by them. The cordless range costs a large chunk of money you need to find someone who actually uses one for a review. As Sheal said if they are top heavy with the battery , it could be tiring . Would be interesting for a Dyson V Gtech report as well

• Like Like x 1
              • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +52,552
                All of them @Tetters. I didn't find any of them comfortable to handle.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                +46,057
                Another vote for Gtech, we bought one for my ancient Father-in-law as it's light and easy to use with no trailing wires. We now use it since F-in-L has gone, along with our mains Dyson. The Gtech does the job but being a bit smaller takes longer. The Gtech is better for stairs and when you need to quickly vacuum up something. I use it for the car too, it is much better at that than a mains powered Dyson.

• Informative Informative x 1
                • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                  Ratings:
                  +118,350
                  We've had a cordless Dyson for three or four years and find it so much easier than the corded one we used to have.

We don't find it heavy to use as the whole thing is supported on the ground by the brush head when we're using it. It's a little unwieldy to carry because the weight is at one end (I expect all of them are the same) but that's only for transporting it from one room to another and we can always use two hands to do that.

Being an older model the battery charge doesn't last as long as the modern ones. Friends who have the modern ones say theirs will last about 40 minutes per charge whereas they were only 20 minutes when we bought ours. That's just the advance in battery technology.

We fitted our charger just inside a large cupboard which makes it very easy for hooking the whole thing into it. Convenient, and out of the way.

The head is detachable (I guess all of them are) which makes it easy to use it for the car or for armchairs etc.

It's more powerful than our old corded Dyson.

• Like Like x 2
                  • Informative Informative x 2
                  • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
                    Ratings:
                    +5,404
                    [​IMG]This is the combination I bought. I went to the Gtech site to buy it. The main cleaner weighs about three and a half kg, and it`s lighter to handle. The separate 'multi task' sorts out the stairs and the car with ease. The main vacuum has a light on the front to see in dark corners, and it cleans well up to the skirting board.
                    Being small, it needs emptying quite often - but that is so easy and quick. There are no bags to buy, and the filter is simple to remove for washing purposes. There was a spare filter, so no need to wait until the washed one dries.
                    Carpet Sweepers, Vacuum Cleaners & Gardening Equipment | Gtech

• Informative Informative x 2
                    • Like Like x 1
                    • Agree Agree x 1
                    • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
                      Ratings:
                      +6,543
                      E7106334-EE11-4B71-9E5A-4C567C924031.jpeg Dyson all the way @roders nothing beats the turbo charge and easier to keep the parts clean without having to faf around with paper bags:biggrin:

I think the EU has something to do with companies who manufacture hoovers now not building the uprights due to the decibel levels on our hearing if the Daily Wail is to be believed or so o read last year so gradually the uprights are being phased out in favour of these hand held ones.:sad:

By the way we have this one and we also got a nice bag of tools included in the price and am sure that you also get a long guarantee on parts that break down as long as you keep the receipt as they will ask you at customer services what date you bought the machine if you need to ring up any time:smile:

• Like Like x 1
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1