1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cordyline australis

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Eastlondon, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Eastlondon

Eastlondon Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]

Hi, I'm new to this so please be kind (I hope I'm posting in teh right place).

Anyway, can any of you good people tell me if this is definitely cordyline australis? I also want to know how old this one might be, I would love one in my London garden which is pretty sheltered, there are a few of these trees dotted around so they obviously aren't too effected by our winters. I expect I will have to wait a long time before one gets to this size but I hope to buy a reasonabley big plant.

Any advice would be gratefully received!:WINK1:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,629
    You are correct, its cordyline australis.

I'm only guessing, but I would say 15 to 20 yrs old.

They have had a few problems temperature wise in the last few years an a good few of the large ones have been frosted right down to the ground.

I think in the cities though its not as cold as other areas out in the sticks, so you should be OK.

They grow fast, so personally, I'd not buy a very large plant that is totally potbound, medium sized, in a large pot, would be best.

It will root better, pot bound plants often dont make good root and become unstable after a couple of years.

3. Eastlondon

Eastlondon Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks that's very useful info indeed. I know the last few winters have been really cold and a lot have died, I was told that they die because the roots freeze and are unable to transport the water up the stem. Would you have any idea roughly how much a medium sized plant might cost?

4. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    Have a look here - for pricing.

They grow fast, so even the £35 one would get quite big within a few years.

The Eden Project shop has them for £40 for a 10L size (not sure how tall but you could email them).

Also check out eBay.

eBay cordyline

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,629
    Not really, but I'm sure you could buy one locally, they are very common in garden centres, when I say medium sized I'm thinking something around 4ft high, 5 ft max.
    The bigger the plant the slower the establishment and rooting.

The death of big plants recently is not due to the roots freezing, that only happens to plants in pots, the roots usually survive when planted out, its the top growth that freezes and dies.

So a plant in the ground stands a better chance of survival.
    My own thoughts are that its not only the cold that has been killing old plants recently, but other diseases could play a part.