1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Corfu wildflowers to id. Help please?

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Martin Holst, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Martin Holst

Martin Holst Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have just returned from Corfu and have been going through my photographs. There are just three plants left that I cannot identify:

The white climber, clambering all over the fence
    The orange roadside flower (willowherb family?)
    And the last two pics are of a very peculiar pea-like plant growing by the side of the road. It has multiple stems rising to about 2 metres, pairs of viscious spines (1cm in length) every 8 inches or so along the main stems, pods, soft 5mm opposite leaves, yellow flowers and the whole thing has a markedly zig-zag appearance.

Sorry if there's not enough detail but I can't go back and check now (more's the pity!)

Thanks

Martin

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
    Ratings:
    +3,254
  3. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,415
    Don't know the first, second does look like an Asclepias and the third and fourth are of Parkinsonia Aculeata, Jerusalem Thorn.

4. Silver surfer

Ratings:
    +3,254
  5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Hi Martin, your second one could be either Scarlet Butterfly weed - Gaura parviflora & can be found in many hot area of Europe & USA or the only other one might be the fragrant evening primrose from Chile which has spread all over the place & the colour can vary from pale pink to deep red so maybe orange, but I seriously think it is the butterfly weed... Not sure of #1 but does have a slightly familiar look to it... :scratch:

Or maybe one of the foreign evening primroses but bot so sure about that one....

6. Silver surfer

Ratings:
    +3,254
  7. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    :scratch: OK SS you think that & I think this... From the National wildlife site.. I have also read that as they have spread around the world they have become different strains due to different pollens pollinating them & often do not have so many small flower heads but larger ones & fewer in number... The same has happened with Evening primroses in some countries where garden flower pollen has cross pollinated again..

8. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    :scratch: You know the first one almost looks Pennywort like.... :scratch:

9. Silver surfer

Ratings:
    +3,254
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Marley Farley.
    I think you have misunderstood my post.

I am agreeing with you!

2. Does look like Scarlet Butterfly weed.

http://www.fws.gov/rockymountainarsenal/habitat/native/wildflowers/scarbutter.htm

However, I assume Gardeners Corner wants to be botanically accurate where ever possible. I am not trying to be deliberately difficult.

I am saying the link posted above is inaccurate. The words are describing Gaura. However, words and pic do not match! The picture on this site is definitly not Gaura parviflora.

See my link below from Missouri Botanic Garden.

http://www.missouriplants.com/Pinkalt/Gaura_parviflora_page.html

Asclepia is in the Botanic family Apocyacaea.
    Gaura is in the botanic family Onagraceae.

The whole structure of the flowers is very very different and they cannot cross pollinate each other.

This is the reason I try always to use the latin names. Common names often cause confusion, as several plants may carry the same common name

10. Martin Holst

Martin Holst Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all. I'm still scratching my head as to the first one. Ended up going through every illustration in the Blamey 'Wildflowers of the Mediterranean' book but no joy yet. Will carry on trying elsewhere though :)

11. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    Hi SS.. OK gotcha..... Although, on quite a few sites they are saying cross pollination is occurring with the butterfly weeds & evening Primrose & variations are occurring in different countries, so they do think cross pollination by insects, so am still wondering if it is a spin off of the butterfly weed.. I agree in that I always thought they were the Aclepsis family though... :scratch:

Martin do try looking at Pennywort & it's brothers & sisters for #1 as there as some of them that are world wide & they are very similar if your plant is smallish in your photo..

If it is not then I think I might be inclined to look at this as a start anyway.......
    Does you think any of the following information here may apply do you think..??

12. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,415
    I recognised the Parkinsonia straight away as I have grown it from seed to flowering size.

13. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +745
    Ahh Corfu my first hol abroad many years ago.. also nice in the spring a mass of colour nice photos.

14. Lavender

Lavender Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Number 1 could be Smilax aspera, it's a very common climber on the Greek islands.