1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Corner plot house front garden suggestions

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Whitehawk, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Whitehawk

Whitehawk Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi

I have a corner plot new build house where the pavement runs around the edge. Annoying a minority cut across our garden to save themselves 5 seconds and I'm determined to stop them with a fence or hedge.

The trouble is the hedge will take a while to establish and the fencing I've seen so far isn't very attractive for a front garden

Is there any attractive fencing for a front garden or any other ideas to stop people cutting across my garden?

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,678
    Pyracantha will stop them in their tracks! You can install a temporary trellis perhaps while the hedge grows

3. Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
    Ratings:
    +5,368
    If I lived in the UK, I would be thinking of Barberry as a first choice hedge, or possibly Blackthorn. As @Loofah says above, with a temporary trellis until the hedge grows.

The UK is far too warm for my real first choice hedging to stop people taking short cuts through a garden.

4. rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,946
    How big is the perimeter you want to fence off?

Could you not put a low picket fence to show that it is a garden and not public land?

Rusty