1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Corona Virus Treatment

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ricky101, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
    Ratings:
    +54,373
    If you have a teddy bear, please place it in your front window. If you are aware of the best selling children's book ' We're Going On A Bear Hunt ' you will undoubtedly know how the kids love it and can recite it word for word!! To make their daily exercise walk more interesting we ( down south anyway) are encouraging them to go on their own Bear Hunts and count how many Bears they can see lurking around people's homes as they go on their daily walk around their neighbourhood. If you can then please add to their fun.Thank you.:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      Understood. Lots of FUD about ... I ignore all of it. But that reminds me of my Headmaster's advice at the pre O'levels pep-talk: "For anyone who is nervous my advice is : Don't be". He was an utterly useless 4LW at the best of times ...

Given no widespread testing "confirmed cases" is only going to be some relatively low % of actual cases? Likely that the deaths figure is reasonably accurate.

I read somewhere that 90% of the at-risk-elderly group recover.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +89,784
        Good morning @Victoria my friend I don't understand any figures:heehee:

My post was merely a positive post just stating that perception of any situation can be either positive or negative,my perception rightly or wrongly is a positive one, as negativity is just a waste of time and thought;):smile:

• Agree Agree x 6
        • Funny Funny x 2
        • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
          Ratings:
          +50,667
          • Agree Agree x 2
          • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
            +21,666
            Recent global stats for ref -
            [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
            • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
              +21,666
              upload_2020-4-4_9-25-10.png

upload_2020-4-4_9-25-39.png

• wiseowl

Philosophy of people
                Ratings:
                +89,784
                I am going up the garden now to sit under my apple tree;):smile:
                wise-man-tell-me-the-secrets-of-the-universe-adding-40861622.png

• Like Like x 3
                • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                  +12,667
                  I have no disagreement there, Stats are not hugely reliable most of the time ... but if the Confirmed Cases is understated by 10x, given the number of people with mild, non-hospital admission, symptoms then for the Death Ratio to remain the same the deaths would have to be understated by 10x too ... that number of additional deaths, compared to seasonal-normal, would be very apparent

There has been some discussion about testing a significant number of general public (at random), and then using that figure to work out what is the actual likely percentage of "Has had it". But that needs a "Has had it test", rather than a "has got it test", and I'm not sure they have one as yet?

• Like Like x 1
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                    +46,046
                    @joolz68

That scenario sounds extremely unlikely, can't say I've ever seen a bat fly that close to our windows ever. There is no evidence that bats can catch it anyway, and not sure why you would eat a dead bat??? Maybe you are alluding to the rumours about where the virus came from originally, the food markets in Wuhan, there is no scientific proof that is the case just internet rumours.

Just watched a virologist on BBC news explaining how it is spread. Some 90% of people catch it being in close contact with an infected person, so distancing and washing hands is our defence. Family groups are passing amongst themselves because it's difficult to isolate each other in a house, hence why everyone in a household must self isolate even if they don't show the symptoms.

He explained that when an infected person coughs or even breathes there is a chance you get infected as the virus survives on water droplets expelled from your lungs. However outside in fresh air the virus gets dispersed very quickly so there is only a tiny chance of catching it from say a passing jogger provided you maintain the 2m distance. Same would go for a passing bat.

The other way of catching it is on your hands from surfaces and then putting your hands on your face, eyes, mouth. The virus can survive on certain surfaces from a few minutes (copper) up to 3 days on plastic. So dispose of your plastic shopping bags straight away, use a spray on your post/parcels - letter boxes etc - wear disposable gloves when unpacking deliveries and wash you hands afterwards.

Hope that puts your mind at rest.

• Agree Agree x 3
                    • Like Like x 2
                    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                      +12,667
                      FWIW I don't do the "sing happy birthday" version, but the "as seen on Casualty" version (No, @roders, I don't watch that either :biggrin:), and I certainly don't do the "as demonstrated by the PM" when he had his hands under a running tap. The fatty construction of the virus is destroyed by soap, so just need to get it into good contact with the soap, and for long enough (that's the Happy Birthday part ... but its neigh on impossible to do the Casualty hand-wash in insufficient time, and as Surgeons [and Casualty Celebrities!! :yay:] have been doing forever, that deals with getting all the skin into contact with the soap)

We put up the hand-washing Diagram from the WHO website in the loos at work at the outset, and in our utility room at home and all visitors had to come in that way and wash their hands before doing anything else. No visitors to the house now of course ...

We (all the West??) see to have a stigma around face masks. When I was living in Japan 40 years ago I appreciated that anyone with a cold wore a mask so they didn't infect the whole commuter train carriage ... I have no qualms and wear both mask and gloves at the weekly Supermarket outing, but I'm one of not-very-many.

• Like Like x 1
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                        +12,667
                        Off topic ... something a bit more cheerful. I like this couple (well, I think its a couple ... this time one of the twins is there too ... but pretty sure I've seen the rest of the sextuplets in some of their videos :)

I also liked this earlier offering they had a while back .. one take I think ...

• Like Like x 1
                        • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                          Ratings:
                          +30,607
                          I do not toss thin bags from the store that I can reuse for rubbish. I hang them in the garage for more than three days and then I know that they are safe to handle. My reusable bags get thrown in the clothes washer on high temperature and with a little bleach added to the soap.

When I get back in my vehicle, I put a big blob of sanitizer on my hands and also rub down the steering wheel.

I have been doing shopping for other people so I try to combine my shops to limit the number of trips/chances for contact with others.

They are reversing their stance on masks and now saying that yes, they do help. So I guess I'll make myself a few. :) I think I shall make them with some added design features :biggrin:

• Like Like x 7
                          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                            Ratings:
                            +85,629
                            I'm probably odd. ;)
                            Don't answer that.
                            I went shopping this morning and joined the long queue.
                            There were all different kinds of people there, from ones that looked like they were going to the moon, in mask and goggles, to those that were just trying to get their shopping and get out of it.
                            I washed my hands when I got home, you don't know what was on the handle of the trolley, but other than that I don't do anything different.
                            The trolleys were still full of the usual rubbish but they were offering cloths to wipe them down, inside the store.
                            Bearing in mind we had all queued up for half an hour outside with them. :lunapic 130165696578242 5:
                            If I get it, I get it, if I don't I'm not sure I will feel safe for the next year.

• Like Like x 3
                            • Friendly Friendly x 1
                              Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
                            • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                              +12,667
                              :blue thumb: :dbgrtmb: :thumbsup:

I'm reading a book about getting rid of Plastic from my daily life ... my next target as an Eco Worrier (sic)

The author says that the typical "bags for life" we use here in UK are not the answer, as they get full of detritus and become Yuck! She sews up the neck of old Teeshirts, sews on a strap-handle that goes all the way under (the neck end, which is now the bottom) to make a really strong bag and, of course, they can easily go in the wash.

• Like Like x 4
                              • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
                                Ratings:
                                +89,784
                                Good afternoon I have just been to 2 local small shops no problems no waiting and shelves all full up,It was very refreshing and reminded Woo of when he used to go shopping normally in 1950/60's I it did cost a little bit more but it was well worth it,in future the supermarkets can get stuffed:heehee: I wiped all shopping before putting away and must admit that as I was doing it I thought what on earth are you doing,I could have put it in the washing machine on a quick wash cycle:lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Funny Funny x 9
                                • Like Like x 1