1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Corrugated leaves

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fran, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I have the odd plant - indoor (orchid) and out (iris) that have developed corrugated leaves Horizontal pleating across the leaf - usually towards the base of the leaf. At first I thought it was something obstructing the leaf growth - but I have it appearing where there is no such obstruction.

Any idea what this is caused by? Plants are healthy, and in the case of the Iris flowered well.

I would like to know what is likely to be the problem - any ideas??

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    For others who may have the same problem, I found the answer from the RHS. It is apparently due to changes in growing conditions especially when the leaf is forming - particularly temperature.

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Thanks Fran - thats interesting. There is a similarity with humans. Doctors look at your nails and, I understand, can tell from any horizontal banding if there has been a sudden change in your health.

4. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Yes indeedy - same as growth rings on trees :) Puzzled me that I hadn't moved or changed the routine of any of the orchids and it only affected two - then I remembered that they were the two I got earlier this year - rather than the older ones. Made sense then.
    The Iris Europa in the garden with the same thing - may have been affected by our weird April temperatures and snow - the ones in the sunny border are fine, but the one in the shady part developed the same corrugated leaf pattern.