1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Could anyone name this shrub?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by PrunusB95, Apr 24, 2016.

1. PrunusB95

PrunusB95 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +19
    Hello,

I have a shrub but I have no idea what it is. It's deciduous, a fast grower, up to 3 metres tall (10 feet), if left unpruned over the years the straight multiples stems become as thick a branches. The leaves could possibly look a bit like an Elder, Wisteria or a Fern, but it's not. It does not produce any flowers, is very hardy and in full sun. Any ideas?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Prunus,

To me it looks like a Sorbus ( Mountain Ash ). The fact that it doesn't produce flowers/berries could be due to pruning too much or at the wrong time of the year.

sorbus aucuparia leaf image search results.jpg

Sorbus vilmorinii Leaves.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
      Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2016
    • JazzSi

JazzSi Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,239
      Sorbaria sorbifolia ?

• PrunusB95

Ratings:
      +19
      Hello Anthony,

Thank you for your reply. I don't think it is a Sorbus (Mountain Ash) because the leaves on my shrub are pointed at the end. A few years ago I coppiced it and lots of stems sprung and grew very fast. I did not prune it for several years after that and those multiple stems became as thick as branches of a small tree. But even though I left it unpruned for several years it never produced any flowers or berries. Both pictures were taken last year after I had it coppiced again and new shoots emerged at a fast rate.

• PrunusB95

Ratings:
      +19
      It has many characteristics of the Sorbaria sorbifolia but I've read that plant only seems to grows up to 1.5 metres, while mine to a good 3 metres with no flowers. This is what the leaves of my shrub in question look like:

Deciduous 003.JPG

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,324
      I agree with a Sorbus. I grew one and it took 5+ years to flower and was about 3m tall at that point. I've a couple of others about 2m tall that may flower this spring.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • PrunusB95

Ratings:
        +19
        Hi NigelJ, but don't the leaves look slightly different? The shrub was already established when I moved in, back in 1995 and as far as I remember it never flowered - unless I never noticed :-) . It never had any reddish tinge on it's leaves either. Once coppiced the multiple trunk reached almost 1 square meter; lots of stems grew out of it over the years, these grew to about 4 inches in diameter to a high of possibly 3.5 metres but no more. It produces suckers (therefore the large trunk) but these don't go very far.

• POOLSIDE

POOLSIDE Gardener

Physiotherapy
        Ratings:
        +73
        Sorbaria sorbifolia...Does it have very attractive tri colour leaves in the Spring