1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Could I grow these in pots & tubs?

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by fumanchu, Dec 6, 2020.

1. fumanchu

fumanchu Gardener

Retired thankugod
    Ratings:
    +432
    I was asking on the main forum about gravel gardens, as I want one at the back of the house, (east facing). But on my travels I discovered some really lovely plants and was wondering if I could grow them in containers round the front, which faces south west and should get hot sun in summer. Some of these plants I have never heard of before so they might be rare or foreign.
    The ones I loved are:
    Agapanthus Back in Black
    Agastache Black Adder
    Eryngium Picos Blue
    Festuca Elijah Blue - I'll get it for the gravel anyway but would it also grow in pots?

2. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    Agapanthus Back in Black is probably best in a pot where you are as it is a tuberous species and thus it is theoretically evergreen. If it turns arctic move the pot to the garage or similar.
    I've never found Agastache to do as well in pots as they do in the ground. Deffo not hardy up there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,329
      Drainage will be the key, fumanchu. All the plants you list need really good drainage, whether they're in the ground or in pots. Eryngiums are tap-rooted, so probably not ideal for relatively shallow pots. We need @silu !! She's got a wonderful garden full of terrific plants in Scotland, so she could advise you what is worth attempting. Silu....cooeee, where are you when we need you?

• Like Like x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • fumanchu

fumanchu Gardener

Retired thankugod
        Ratings:
        +432
        Drat. LOL! so much to learn... :biggrin: tyvm gardeners!

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1