1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Courgettes - broken roots

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by TheMadHedger, May 10, 2016.

1. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Just had to re-pot some courgette seedlings - hadn't noticed that the roots had exited from the bases of the individual cells and had become completely entangled with each other underneath the cells.

They've now been planted in individual pots, but naturally most of the roots that had come out of the bottom of the cells broke off (it was the only way to remove them from the cells as the roots couldn't be separated let alone pushed back up through the drainage holes in the cells). However, they all had very good root bundles inside the cells, so will breaking off the tangled roots that exited the cells cause any problems?

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    They'll be fine :spinning:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
      +226
      Thank you, that's a relief. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +9,233
        I know everyone says that you should plant them in seperate pots/cells, or put two seeds in a pot, removing the weakest.

I'm afraid I do the latter, but can rarely remove the weakest. I find that they germinate within 24 hours of each other, so I tend to carefully split the two seedlings apart, as soon as the true leaves are visible in the centre of the seed leaves. I shouldn't, I'm a bad, bad girl, but it works every time, and I have a spare plant in case of slug attack...

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,310
          Root breakage is quite common and the plant recovers OK. Obviously it's better if you can transplant them just as the roots are coming out of the bottom but that requires continuous checking. :noidea:

• Agree Agree x 2
          • TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
            +226
            Yes, continuous checking would be required for the roots as they do tend to materialise pretty fast!

Thanks for the advice Sian and Shiney. :)