1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

courgettes?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by dalbuie, Aug 4, 2005.

1. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all, I have grown courgettes this year from seed, when I came back from hollidays they look like marrow's will I still be able to use them? or are they for the compost heap. :confused: Any help would be great. [​IMG]

2. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Yes, use them as marrows. Once picked the plants will produce more courgettes, it is the case of the more you pick, the more it encourages the plant to produce them.

Nathan.

3. Hannah

Hannah Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Couple of ideas:

1. Cut it in half lengthways, scoop out the seeds, stuff it with sausagemeat/Sosmix, put it back together again, wrap in foil and bake.

2. Grate it and put it in chocolate cake.

3. Soup, with plenty of nutmeg and black pepper.

4. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the ideas- the soup sounds a good idea also stuffing them, chocolate cake! sounds interesting but not quite sure what you mean :eek:

5. hydroponics man

hydroponics man Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, they are some good ideas, ive just tried some of them my self, nice one [​IMG]

6. Mooseas

Mooseas Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Marrow Curry - yum yum

7. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Sounds good! mabe we should have a Gardeners recipe corner ;) only joking :D :D

8. cathysue

cathysue Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi there. Give the chocolate cake a try. It's a great way of getting kids to unknowingly eat more veg and it tastes delicious [​IMG]
    I've used carrots, parsnips, courgettes and rhubarb in cakes. You don't need a special recipe. Just take your basic cake recipe, grate the veg finely and mix in. I use 2 or 3 carrots per cake and so with other veg I add the same approximate quantity. If the mix is a bit sloppy add a bit more flour.

happy eating

9. Hannah

Hannah Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Why joke, I think a Gardeners Recipe Corner would be an excellent idea! Especially for some of us novices who hear of something and think well what on earth do you do with that then?!

For the chocolate cake, try Googling for zucchini chocolate cake. I'll scrounge mum's recipe if we get a recipe corner.

10. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks I will give the chocolate cake a try :)I found a great recipe for marrow and roast garlic soup it was very yummy, so yummy I have made it twice so far !