1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Couriers - who is responsible for stolen goods?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Daisies, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Get this: a couple of weeks ago I ordered a very large roll of kraft wrapping paper ('brown' paper, to you!) cost £35 and a large roll of bubble wrap cost £6. Shipping was about £7.

I get home from work to find a 'missed you' card in my door - no not in my letter box, pushed into the crack of my door!

yodel 1.jpg

as you can see, the driver said he had left it in a 'safe' place in my "garage". I don't have a garage, I have a car port which by its very nature is not safe! Not only which, no parcel! It was gorn!

The next day, as promised the second parcel, the bubble wrap, was delivered. I had popped out for about an hour and naturally he came while I was out and left the same message in the door and the parcel in the car port, about 50 feet from the road in full view.

Naturally I rang the courier who was very concerned and told me that the company had a premier account with them meaning that deliveries had to be signed for by the named person and not only couldn't be left 'in a safe place' but not even with a neighbour. He also asked me to report it to the company which I did.

Interestingly, the company had no contact phone numbers on their website, one had to copy their email address and do it by email - which I did.

There then followed this interesting exchange
    (erm - I thought they had this 'premium account'!!)

Then I got impatient and sent this
    I was, to put it mildly, gobsmacked. I order an item, their courier leaves it so it can be and is stolen and they will refund me as a good will gesture? How's that then? What do you all think?

2. moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    I had a situation where I posted a birthday present of some small crystals to a friend under recorded delivery. She never received them. Backwards and forwards with letters as you did Daisies and eventually I had to produce the invoices for the said items before they would refund my loss. In the meantime of course I had to send another lot of presents to my friend late for her birthday. There seems to be an increasing amount of theft from within the mail systems today.

3. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    Re the Seed Parcel,
    It is not a goodwill gesture if the goods were not delivered correctly, postage aint cheap, you paid extra for the delivery so expect a decent service, sadly lacking nowadays, we had a regular postie up until 2 years ago, then he was moved and now we get any waif or stray, willing to do another round.

4. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,771
    They're obliged to refund so not exactly goodwill. The company is responsible for everything up to and including delivery so they may want to look at another courier! Speaking of which, who says it wasn't the courier taking the parcel home? Probably not but you never know.
    I can't see how the courier isn't accepting liability incidentally if the terms of delivery were breached.

5. mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,626
    I know your frustrations daisees.
    When buying from the net now I always look which courier they use now.
    I've had the same problem as you.
    To be fair there reviews are rubbish
    http://www.reviewcentre.com/Postal-...Collect-www-collectplus-co-uk-reviews_1431357

I avoid using collect+, yodel, my Hermes and city link
    Everyone else never had a problem with. Always leave a note on the door to leave next door if I'm expecting something

6. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    Delivery wasn't completed, you didn't receive it: therefore liability remains with the company.

May I just ask, are those direct quotes from their email correspondence?

7. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    I was just about to start a new thread.

Online shopping is becoming something of the norm. Royal mail are cosidered too pricy. Yet not always appreciated. Postie usually knew who lived where, and you get to number ? up that side alley.

Now I have deliveries by Royal Mail. Hermes, Yodel and the big companies like UPS etc. I have recently become used to emails from whatever courier. Your parcel has been delivered etc. I have a working door bell and letterbox on my front door. Also a post box on the wall. By the side of the front door, there is a brick built outbuilding, wheelchair/scooter store. Notes on the front door glass and on the large window of the outbuilding. Oversize post. Throuygh the window please. Usually this is used by postie and couriers.

I have had several ups & downs with Yodel & Hermes. Tonight I came online around 23.30 Email. Hermes has safely delivered your parcel. I'd been home all evening. No knock or door bell. 'Adorned' LOL. in dressing gown, I go to check. Zilch. Nothing on door step, anywhere close by. Nothing in outbuilding.
    My side of the road is odd numbers. So as most of these drivers rely on sat nav. Ah! this is 33, next is 39. Where's 35 & 37? 35/37 front doors are on the side. Wowee! having deduced that, surely a Nobel Prize for Brain whatever must be in the offing.

I appreciate that most of these couriers/drivers are from Easten Europe. I admire them for wanting to work, and in this case, these companies really are slave trading. However please. Stop doorstepping, and stop all this signed for rubbish. Where the driver takes a snapshot of where the parcel supposedly was left or the recipients scwiggled signature.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,594
      @Mike Allen couriers are on a time limit to deliver. They are given a certain amount of parcels and are expected to deliver them all within a time limit and be back at their base at a fixed time at the end of the day. The companies they work for don't make allowances for hold ups so they often reach that time limit before all their deliveries are made. They must return to base on time even if they haven't finished deliveries and often have their wages reduced for not completing the round.

They need to know their routes well to achieve the deliveries in the stated time, assuming that all the deliveries happen without hold-ups.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
        Ratings:
        +6,097
        My parcel ended up being delivered this morning.

• Like Like x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,594
          I'm glad you received it this morning. :) That suggests the deliverer ran out of time yesterday.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,465
          I've mentioned this before:- I returned home one evening about 10.30 and saw a package on the grass verge about 100yds from me and sitting under a lamppost. I went to look and it was a food delivery from one of the menu companies. On the label it had a delivery name, address and phone number. So I phoned the number and it was someone who had just moved into their house about a quarter of a mile along the road in the other direction! They received an email saying it was delivered with the phot the driver had taken. How he could expect the photo to be acceptable is beyond me! :doh:

• Agree Agree x 2
          • Informative Informative x 1