1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Covering an unsightly extension

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by geriali, May 19, 2015.

1. geriali

geriali Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi. I would love some ideas on how best to cover our neighbour's extension wall. My hubby is going to re-brick our small wall but as you can see the extension is unsightly. There is a gap of 50ml between their extension and our wall/fence. Appreciate any creative help ! 11295690_376377349221139_5455167731241707893_n.jpg 11245793_376377389221135_6447259018744110408_n.jpg 11203145_376377365887804_4118398429416094704_n.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +49,605
      You could attach screening to the top (the bamboo type stuff) and then paint it a colour of your choice, or if you want a plant to cover it, I would go for either a clematis or a Virginia creeper; the clematis would be good for the sake of having flowers at least once a year, and there are some really vigorous ones out there - Montana for a starter - so you should be able to get the wall quite well covered before too long.

The only real issue with the creeper or the clematis is that you will have to keep it in check so it doesn't get too big

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
      • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
        +12,322
        If me I would use to its full potential and install a pergola

I hate gaps like that as animals can so easily become trapped , my brothers cat went missing and was found 3 days later in something very similar , luckily it was ok and its calls for help were heard.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
        • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
          Ratings:
          +6,543
          Clematis Montana either the pink or white variety will soon scramble up any barrier like trellis that you put up.Our neighbour two doors down used Russian Vine up his garage wall which is fast growing but it then took over the garage wall,roof and even went inside his garage under the eaves so do be careful if you decide on this plant.:sad:

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
          At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
          Ratings:
          +49,605
          :goodpost:

I wouldn't have a Russian Vine for that very reason - destructive blighter that it is.
          At least the clematis or Virginia creeper won't damage buildings, and is 'tameable'

• Agree Agree x 2
          • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +16,246
            As FC the split bamboo or grass screening attached to the wall and the brown fence panel would look nice.
            Now is there a gap between your wall and brown fence and the neighbours extension wall ? I also think for a quickish cover consider Clematis Montana as a good choice. Tesco , Morrisons and Asda will have it on sale by now.
            split-cane-400.jpg warwickbig1.jpg

• Like Like x 4
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +31,885
              As it is a sunny area and obviously somewhere you like to sit, consider something with a bit of fragrance. A honeysuckle perhaps? It would mingle with any other climber you put there.
              As your side is decked, anything you plant would need to be in containers, so choose some largish ones for the climbers.
              If you are putting a clematis of some kind there, put another pot of something in front of the pot you put the clematis in. The reason I say that is because clematis like their roots in shade and heads in the sun.
              If you choose the bamboo screening idea, maybe you could build a shorter 'pot barrier' with some of it ... but only a short version ... then you could have a length where you put all your potted plants behind it (so behind your seating but in front of the wall). Eventually, some of the plants in the pots would spill over the edge of the low bamboo screen and pull the whole look "together" :)
              I love the pergola idea (had that on the patio of one of my previous houses) and it is great for growing plants up and hanging baskets from. It would certainly make the extension wall "blend in" while you waited for plants to grow up the pergola :)
              As with most things much depends on your budget and ... how well (or otherwise!) you get on with your neighbours.

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +3,631
                this might sound a bit mad but depending how thick the wall is could you place some trough planters along the top and plant them with some plants that have height and then attach some trellising to the top of the fence and grow something along that

• Informative Informative x 1
                • geriali

geriali Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
                  +4
                  Thank you all so much for your wonderful suggestions! all very good. We like the idea of bamboo screening and especially the pergola! Next door are very nice and I am pretty sure we can come to a compromise of some sort :smile:
                  I am also thinking of Virginia Creeper intertwined with Clematis Montana and keeping it tamed then at least we will have an evergreen cover for the winter months. :ThankYou:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
                    +12,322
                    [QUOTE="geriali, post: 937915, member: 3886" then at least we will have an evergreen cover for the winter months. :ThankYou:[/QUOTE]

thank you for the positive feedback to us all

just so you know the two plants you mentioned are not evergreen over the winter months

• Agree Agree x 1