1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Covering weeds/grass with newspaper!!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Val.., May 20, 2013.

1. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    Has anyone tried this, apparently it makes a very good 'mulch'

Val

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I have used cardboard box (i.e. a box dismantled into square "panels") with a split cut from one side to the middle and slipped that around young shrubs to stop weeds growing under them. Then covered the cardboard with rotted manure (only mulch I had to hand). The cardboard and manure all rotted down (although the cardboard, applied in the Spring, lasted two Summer seasons). Worked pretty well. Newspaper would just blow about unless weighted down - and anything organic on top would mean that the paper was moist enough to rot in a short time I would think.

Woven weed suppressing fabric will last much longer and do a much better job ... its plastic though :(

Old carpet does a good job, but personally I would only ever use that on a hedge (or perhaps on the base of a tree) as it is an absolutely nightmare to remove. Definitely wouldn't use it on the Veg patch as I have no confidence that the Plasticisers wouldn't get into the subsequent food crops.

3. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    I meant to weigh it down, was thinking of using it under a membrane to make sure the weeds/grass didn't come back again,

Val

4. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    I have tried both newspaper (thoroughly soaked) and also cardboard (again, soaked thoroughly).

With the newspaper, I still had nettles and mare's tail come through :gaah:

I've only just used the cardboard, so I'll have to get back to you on that one.

5. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    My friend has a huge drive which she wanted to gravel, she laid old carpets begged stolen or borrowed from skips, and it did a fair job, there are weeds now, but easily pulled up as the roots are not in the ground.