1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Crassula ovata (Jade Plant, Money Plant etc)

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by shiney, Feb 7, 2008.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,347
    One of our Jade Plants is blooming. We have had them for decades and I have never seem them in flower before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,409
    Your patience has been rewarded. ;)

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Shiney - thats brilliant. I hadn't even realised until a short while ago that they would/could flower. Do you have any ides what conditions are needed? Mine has been going for 15 years but has shown no inclination.

4. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Lovely, shiney. We had ours for years before the biggest one bloomed. The smaller one bloomed for the first time a couple of years ago.

They don't bloom until they are quite old. Our bigger one is a good 45 years old. My MiL had it for quite some years before she gave it to me. The smaller one is a clipping from the big one. Sis also has a clipping and hers bloomed beautifully last year. Of course, hers now lives in the right place!

5. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,692
    It was the year before last mine bloomed, Sis, when it was 25 years old! It has one tiny cluster last and and none this ... but it has now been moved up onto the deck in full sun as it only got morning sun before.

They are in full bloom in the gardens here now, just incredible. I've seen some perhaps 5 feet tall and twice as wide (possibly two shrubs) just covered that you can't see the leaves.

PeterS, the above probably answers your question ... full sun. Marley Farley's has just bloomed and she put a pic up somewhere. [​IMG]

6. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Well done shiney, they are such beautiful little flowers aren't they. Mine too, have flowered for several years now.... [​IMG]

7. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,654
    I find if you dont water in the summer and let them roast a bit, they flower better, in the winter.
    Pot bound seems to help as well, thats probably why it seems like they have to be very old to flower. [​IMG]

8. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,692
    Evening pete.

Not sure about the lack of watering here in the summer ... that's natural so we have to. :D

Thought I agreed with the potbound until I saw them growing in the ground here ... ?????

My problem was lack of sun as mine got very little ... here, not the UK that is! :eek:

9. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    LoL and Pete - you are quite right. Quote :-

To induce a potted specimen to flower, move it into a sunny or brightly lit position during summer and autumn ââ?¬â?? but if it has been in a cool low-light spot remember to introduce it to stronger light gradually or the leaves will be scorched. Also, don't put it behind glass in full sun, rather move it to an outside sunny spot or into a spot that receives bright light but no direct sun. Particularly with potted specimens, remember that it needs little water, so water sparingly in summer and withold water during winter. It's best to drench the soil and then allow it to dry out before watering again. The plant will tolerate periods of drought effortlessly but will soon rot if left to stand in wet soil.

This page, from which the above was taken, is most intersting. It explains why Crassula can withstand long droughts. It only breathes (opens its pores) at night. It can also go into suspended animation when it doesn't breathe (which is when plants lose water) at all.

http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantcd/crassovat.htm

10. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,654
    Growing in the ground in Potugal is very similar to the plants natural habitat I would guess, so they get very large very quickly and flower easily.
    Pot growing in the UK is different, our summers are probably very similar to the plants natural winter, then real winter comes and it can be very dull for days, which probably doesn't help the flowering.
    I have one that has escaped from its small pot, which it cracked, and then rooted into the gravel on the greenhouse floor.
    I never water it winter or summer, its in full sun winter and summer and it flowers and has done even before it broke the pot.
    There aren't many succulents that will grow well without direct sun all year. Apart from a few shade lovers, most will grow very out of character without sunshine.

11. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,347
    I reckon this one flowered because it has been left in the greenhouse all winter (got too big for indoors) and has had the extra light.

Thanks for the advice PeterS. I'll make sure it doesn't stay in the greenhouse once the weather improves.