1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Create a wildflower meadow

Discussion in 'Herbs and Wildflowers' started by Sydney Carton, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Sydney Carton

Sydney Carton Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, all

I had a section of land (20 yds x 15 yds) in my back garden which had turned into a jungle, so I spent last autumn clearing it. I cut everything back, rotavated the soil and threw down some lawn seed. The plan was just to have a grassed area with some flowers along the borders.

However, there's been a change of plan. The section is at the end of the garden, so we've decided it's an ideal place to have a wildflower meadow.

I've heard they are difficult to establish, so any tips would help, because I'm a novice. Have I made life more difficult by throwing down lawn seed which has already started to take hold?

I'm off to the gardening centre today, but not sure what I should buy (seeds etc).

Thanks.

2. minki

minki Novice Gardener

Research Scientist
    Ratings:
    +367
    • Like Like x 1
    • minki

minki Novice Gardener

Research Scientist
      Ratings:
      +367
      Also if you want to increase the chances sow some seed in a seed tray and then transplant the seedlings in april.. They will be easier to establish and fight off the competition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
      • Kris Lord

Kris Lord Lawn Care Expert

Lawn Care Business Owner
        Ratings:
        +166
        The biggest problem you'll have is stopping weeds and weed grasses from taking over. Natural wildflower meadows establish themselves on really poor soils which are low in nutrients. If you have a good soil, you will have a devil of a job stopping weeds from taking over and you'll get no wild flowers at all.
        I would recommend killing all the plants in the area (either by covering for a few weeks or with a total weedkiller) and then adding lots of gravel / grit to improve the drainage and reduce the amount of nutrients held at the surface.
        Then just throw on a load of seeds and see what happens!

• Like Like x 1
        • robinbarker

robinbarker Gardener

Retired ( at last )
          Ratings:
          +181
          I have tried lots of wildflower seeds but one of the best companies in my opinion is mas seeds in Wiltshire www.meadowmania.co.uk

• Like Like x 1