1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Credit/Debit card users double-charged at New Year

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by JWK, Jan 5, 2011.

1. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,023
    Grrr, just found my bank account has been suspended and several direct debits have been declined. I made a fairly big payment on 31st Dec (bought a secondhand car from a garage). I used my debit card and just found out that the the payment went through twice, now I'm over my overdraft limit and can't withdraw any more cash.

So watch out folks, if you bought anything at all over last weekend theres a chance you might have been charged twice - best to double check. I only noticed because it was such a big amount :(

Card users double-charged at New Year

Note: It's that useless bunch at Lloyds Bank who have mucked up loads of payments throughout the country. I don't bank with Lloyds and didn't use a credit card but was caught anyway - it's just depends on what system the shop/retailer uses.

2. music

music Memories Are Made Of This.

A Little Bit Of This And A Little Bit Of That.
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    Hi JWK. similar thing happened to me . i had made a few transactions using my Debit Card and some of the transactions had been withdrawn twice from my account :(. fortunately they were for smaller amounts
    than you had. the Amounts have now been processed back into my Account with an Apology letter from
    the Bank. music :cool:.

3. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,729
    What a rubbish start to the New Year, John. I do hope things get sorted out quickly.

4. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,639
    Sorry to hear of your start to the year John. I still have a Debit Card with Lloyds as my pension goes in there and withdraw every two weeks plus use the debit .. last time 20 December for a small purchase. I think all banks are useless in their various ways ... I've never changed as I've had the account for 32 years.

Hope you get sorted out soon ... but it's all the inconvenience of their ineptitude and with the problem you've had, also hope you are compensated.

5. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    What a rotten thing to have happened!!!! I HATE it when there are mix ups with money, makes me really cross, other peoples stupidity and it is so bloody inconvenient you want to make sure you REALLY complain about this!!!!:mad:

Val

6. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    Hiya John, thats terrible, Id be livid. I hate banks they are always mucking up.:mad:

Just make sure they dont charge you for the direct debits that were'nt honoured.:thmb:

7. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,023
    Thanks folks, I hope not too many of you are affected. It was just an unlucky set of circumstances for me, not a great issue but inconvenient and will take me some time tomorrow phoning up the banks trying to unfreeze our account. I've been told it might take 'a few days' for them to pay us back. I'll certainly get paid back any interest or charges, being a national problem I don't expect any resistance.

What I'm really peeved about is the length of time it's taken for Lloyds TSB to own up to this problem. They must have known and should have started to rectify it straight away. Advertising the problem would have helped, rather than let us discover it ourselves by finding our cards are declined at the most embarrasing moment.

I'm also surprised that my bank (Nationwide) allowed them to take this amount which exceeded my overdraft limit. But since then they have declined 3 other direct debits, I'll get an answer to that tomorrow as Nationwide aren't answering their phones right now.

We can't go shopping till I get the account unfrozen. It's kind of lucky we have so many left overs from Christmas, and the extra layer of fat I've developed will come in handy, I always thought eating too many mince pies would come in useful one day.

8. Chopper

Chopper Do I really look like a people person?

Seal Clubber
    Ratings:
    +112
    Here are the facts.

Banks screw us at every opportunity. Bankers caused the credit crunch. Banks cannot survive without OUR money. Banks will charge you huge sums for sending you a letter.

PAYBACK TIME!

List everything that has been returned unpaid as a direct result of THIER cock up. List any extra charges that you incur due to THIER mistakes.

List every phone call and letter you have to write, to correct THIER mistakes. Work out how much time you have spent sorting out the mess. Don't forget any traveling you have had to do and include bus fares or fuel costs.

Write to the bank in the strongest possible terms, listing your grievances, detailing your inconvenience and exact costs. (Don't forget to charge YOUR time at twice your normal hourly rate of pay). Tell the bank they have seven days to pay the costs in full or you will take them to the county court and make an official complaint to the Banking Ombudsman and the Financial Services Authority.

Send your letter by recorded delivery and send a duplicate copy to yourself, BUT DO NOT OPEN THE COPY YOU SEND TO YOURSELF. You might need it later if they decide to go to court and you need proof of the letter. Keep the receipt from the post office.

If the bank does not pay up within the stated time, go to the County Court and lodge a claim in the small claims court. The Small Claims Court cannot award compensation so don't try to claim it. Just claim your provable costs. It will cost you a few quid to lodge the claim but you can claim it back.

The bank will receive your claim and MUST respond to it. They may try to settle out of court for a lesser sum. Insist on the full amount. If they try to ignore or refuse to pay, persue the claim.

I did this with my bank after they made a mistake, then made things worse by having an arrogant, pompous twit phone me and threaten me with court action. I had a total of seven letters from them and for each one they billed me £40. The problem was caused by an error of basic maths on thier part. They put the decimal point in the wrong place.

I went to the bank and the aforementioned twit refused to see me, three times. I explained to the cashier what the problem was and she tried to tell the idiot, who was incapable of admitting the mistake was thiers. He stuck to his guns and refused to listen to anything I said. Even the bit where I promised him a punch on the nose when I next saw him.

I went to the court and filed my claim. I lodged a complaint with the Banking Ombudsman and the FSA. The idiot called me to tell me that I could not make a claim against them or him as they were a bank and he was a bank manager!

The claim hit his desk the next day, so did a copy of the complaints to the Ombudsman and the FSA. I got ALL of my money back plus £250 as a gesture of goodwill from the bank. I don't know what happened to the idiot but there was a new manager next time I went into the bank some weeks later.

Yes I did give him a punch on the nose when I saw him in town. (I always keep a promise).

Don't let a bank or any big organisation bully you or mess you about. All of these organisations are made up of very little people. Most of them are on power trips and try to build thier own little empires within the organisation. You can beat them, you just need the will to find the chink in thier armour which is usually thier ego's. Learn to fight back and fight to win.

Good luck mate.

Chopper.

9. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    He did you know, he had to.:yez:

10. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,023
    Chopper; thanks for your excellent detailed reply. I'm going to be doing all those things (well maybe not the punching bit!). My motto is "Don't get Mad, Get Even", I've already started to record the time I've spent making phone calls, etc and will not miss any single charge or expense.

The company that cocked up is Cardnet which is part of Lloyds TSB. So I've been doing a bit of research on their website: Lloyds charge their customers £5 for a duplicate statement, so I'll be using that figure for each photocopy I send them. Also they charge for 'correspondence', £30 per half hour, minimum £60! I'll be using that figure for all my letter writing time. Because I was unable to use my debit card to buy materials my bricklayer may well run out of things to do this weekend, I’ll tell him to bill me for his lost time and I'll pass that on to Lloyds with a suitable markup for handling. I can see this getting very very expensive for Lloyds.

I’m no stranger to the Small Claims Court so I won’t hesitate going down that route if they refuse to compensate me fully.

Today they have refunded me, so my bank account is back in the black. I’m still very annoyed by my own bank (Nationwide) allowing the unauthorized transaction taking me into the red and beyond my agreed overdraft limit. I’ve been on the phone to them today, but their explanation makes no sense to me. So I’ll be writing to them too and will take my business elsewhere if I don’t get a satisfactory answer.

11. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,023
    Just thought I'd update everyone with the outcome. It took a little time because I had to wait for my bank and credit card company to send me statements for interest and charges. About a month ago I detailed all the costs to Lloyds (Cardnet) using their fees they publsih on their website, e.g. £60/hour for 'an audit letter", £5 for each page of a duplicate statement, etc etc. I also added on £250 for my 'distress' and in total it came to over £500.

I immediately got an apology letter saying they would "improve their systems, blah blah blah" and asking for my bank details. I thought here we go, delaying tactics and endless questions. But No! Within a couple of days they paid me the full amount down to the last penny straight into my bank.

Maybe I should have asked for more?

12. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,729
    Hooray! Glad it all worked out, John. But yes, you should have asked for more. My kids always work on the principle: 'start high and make 'em haggle downwards'.

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

Ratings:
      +46,023
      Yes my negotiation skills are not good, I guess thats why they paid straight away, other people probably got a lot more. But I'm happy now and think asking for any more would have been a bit greedy - gawd what am I saying, I'm talking about bankers - I really missed a trick OUCH

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,595
      Its interesting how some organisations still try that old chestnut.

By law, they can charge you a maximum of a tenner (might have gone up a little bit since I last checked about a year ago), to provide you with EVERY piece of data they hold that relates specifically to you.

Its all covered under the Data Protection Act 1990, a 'data subject' (you or I) is entitled to request all personal data from a 'data controller' (the bank or any other organisation that holds data about you), and the data controller is allowed to charge an admin charge of up to £10.

Of course they don't volunteer that info, hoping people will not know about it and pay extortionate costs.

Still, glad you got it all sorted in the end.:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
      • JWK

Ratings:
        +46,023
        I think I have explained this the wrong way round, I used their published costs as the basis for my claim. So I charged them £10 for making the duplicate statements and £60/hour for my 'letter writing'.

To be fair to Lloyds their website does say £5 each and £10 maximum.