1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Crinkly Orchid and crispy Acer

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by bobandirus, Aug 18, 2010.

1. bobandirus

bobandirus Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    2 Questions today

Went to IKEA (best plant shop int he world :dh:) and saw this rather nice example of what I presume is a Cambria. Only when I got home did I realize that I the leaves from one of the Pseudobulbs looked like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Flower for I.D if nessasary:
    [​IMG]

And also, without thinking, my Mum made her Acer go all crispy. It seems to be coming back to life, but its very very slow, and I was wondering if it is dead, or if its just a case of time, or if there is something you can do to help them after this. I heard that Acers tend to bud back very efficiently, so is it a case of chop its head off?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some buds that may be growing, just rather slowly:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any help?

2. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    Your mums acer should be outdoors.
    It will not survive inside

3. bobandirus

bobandirus Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry, should have pointed it out that it was outside and got crispy, so it was bought indoors, should it go back out into a very undercover spot? Would that help?

4. Pete02

Pete02 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bobandirus, the Acer should go outside, find a sheltered spot out of direct sunlight.
    it will drop it's leaves but it should recover, probably not this year certainly next, repotting it
    into fresh compost in a slightly larger pot might help. don't stand the pot in a saucer
    it won't like it's roots standing in water. let us know how it gets on.

Regards Pete :thumb:

5. bobandirus

bobandirus Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Ok :) Ill do that then :)

Thanks very much!

6. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Regarding the Orchid, it looks to me like a young leaf which is unfurling.:gnthb: