1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Crocus problem

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by "M", Feb 17, 2015.

1. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    I planted crocus in October and they are all coming up and some have flower heads (yay, me!)

I've been waiting a good week for the flower heads to open up in their full glory. This afternoon, 3 of them were open ( :yahoo: ) but the others were not :scratch:
    An hour or so later, they'd closed up again :th scifD36:

:scratch: :dunno: :th scifD36: :scratch: :ideaIPB: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Well spot the Numpty Turnip who didn't realise ... they need full on sun before they'll open up their petals :wallbanging:

So, I'm guessing that they have grown in their shady spot simply because they had energy reserves in their bulb and next year they possibly won't grow back?

Problem being: there is no where else in the back garden where they will ever get sun at this time of year (apart from that one hour this afternoon) :cry3:

Are there *any* spring bulbs (other than snowdrop - which *is* being successful) which I could have in my back garden? And, what should I do about the crocus bulbs that are fighting the good fight and all for nothing? :dunno: Dig them up and compost them? Dig them up and give them away? Leave them to rot where they are?

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,253
    I would leave the crocuses where they are. They will grow and produce flower buds in future years. The flower buds will only open fully in the sunshine but the part open buds are still attractive.
    I have similar issues with my front garden and take the fully open flowers as a bonus. They are slowly spreading across my damp shady, mossy lawn.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      :phew: Thank you Nigel!! :thumbsup:

Oh I do agree, the part open flowers are still attractive but its reassuring to know I can leave them be and still get some benefits from them.

• Like Like x 1
      • Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
        Ratings:
        +7,491
        You were saying on another thread that like myself, you have a north(ish) facing garden. I feel your pain! I've got a bit of direct sun in the side passage of the house for a very short space of time and this is where I've got a few pots with crocus bulbs which actually open....then close pretty sharpish. This is happening now in mid Feb.

In the main body of the garden, my other bulbs will flower, but only when the sun gets higher in the sky as Feb moves into March then April so there's more direct sun. You just have to be patient. That's one of the downsides of a north facing garden - spring bulbs flower later than everyone else's! As long as you know that the sun will eventually hit the part of the garden where your bulbs are, I'd leave them. They'll all flower eventually. All my crocuses have grown back so yours will too.

The best bulbs I've found though for doing ok despite the shade is iris reticulata and snowdrops.

• Informative Informative x 3
        • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +31,885
          Yes Fern, pretty much like yours (my previous garden was bathed in sun, so this is my new challenge).

Just looked up iris reticulate - very pretty and one I shall definitely invest in: thank you! :spinning:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,547
            Could you put them in a pot "M" and hang them from a fence that may catch the sun.

I don't think there are any other early flowering bulbs, but what about Aconites, they grow from tubers. Bluebells will bloom late spring and don't have a problem with shade. The only downside being that once you've got them they're a devil to get rid of. The same with the Aconites.

• Informative Informative x 1
            • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
              +46,050
              Cyclamen thrive in shade too.

• Informative Informative x 2
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +7,491
                I will have to try cyclamen. :blue thumb: My bulbs take ages to grow at this time of year. Some early crocus bulbs are only a couple of cms high at the moment. I'm going to try some summer flowering bulbs this year. Hopefully I won't have a problem as I get a lot more direct sun as the
                months progress.

@"M" ....I grow everything mostly in containers anyway so I end up moving the pots into the sunshine. I think sheals idea of having planters or baskets hanging in the sun is a good one - I'll try that myself. I've got a strip of sunshine running along the top of the south facing fence at the moment. :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 2
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
                  "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
                  Ratings:
                  +4,445
                  I noticed some of mine poking their heads through a few weeks ago, such a cheering sight.
                  Then disaster struck in the shape of an elegant paw, knocked most of the heads off. Really made me cross.

• Like Like x 4
                  • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +16,246
                    As Nigel said the unopened flowers of Crocus are very attractive . Same with Tulips.
                    Pam , I found something had been digging up one off my Tulip beds this weekend . It could never be Molly could it ? :doggieshmooze:
                    I have put plastic chairs over the beds now , don't want her chewing bulbs , that with the big holes in the lawn does give the garden the urban slum look ,which we all aim for :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 3
                    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +31,885
                      Update: What a difference one month can make!

I'm happy to report that all of them have grown, bloomed and given untold pleasure and are still going strong - I didn't realise they could flower for such a long time! Plus, the sun is definitely moving around to where I need it to be to make my crocus' happy :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 2
                      • Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +7,491
                        A month makes all the difference in a garden that faces north! I'm getting lots more sunshine now too. :hapydancsmil:

• Agree Agree x 1