1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cucumber advice

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by nearlygreenfingered, Jun 14, 2011.

1. nearlygreenfingered

nearlygreenfingered Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I was hoping that someone could give me some advice on growing cucs. I am trying them for the first time. All female variety I think but can't remember the name. Currently they seem to be growing fine, lots of little cucs on the plants but not much else happening - only one cuc of note coming. Do you need to limit the size of the plants to encourage the growth into the cucs rather than the plants? Alternatively should I be picking out some of the smaller fruit? Any sound advice would be a great help,

Thanks.

2. joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,385
    ive got a femspot in the greenhouse which seems be doing fine,ive not picked anything out or limited its size which is about 3ft in high but ive had 3 cucumbers from it up to now(its my 1st cuc plant )ive also grew some from seeds about 6 week back..ive planted 1 outside that isnt growing so much and the other one ive left the other in the greenhouse but thats not much bigger yet (prob seeded to late) x my cucumbers seemed to grow fast in size so maybe it just needs a week or 2 to bloom,sorry im not much help but theyl be some1 on here who will know xx hope they get a spirt on for you soon :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Rockmoc

Rockmoc Gardener

Ratings:
      +13
      My cuc is growing great guns (Femspot) lots of little ones to start then two flowers with small cucs behind which will grow into larger ones. I am no expert but I would leave well alone.

Rockmoc :hapfeet:

• Like Like x 1
      • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
        Ratings:
        +3,035
        Leave them alone and they'll be fine. I've grown femspot several times. The plant will shed (they'll yellow and die) any embryonic cucs it can't support and the others will develop in due course. If you feed and water you probably end up with more cucs than you can use.
        I nip out side shoots beyond the third leaf to keep the plant in control and also nip out tendrils, and use tie wraps, as tendrils do take up a bit of the plants energy. Not essential though.

• Like Like x 3