1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cucumber dying Verticillium Wilt ?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by helen, Jul 10, 2010.

1. helen

helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone

My cucumber "passandra" F1 which was doing really well is dying and I suspect it to be Vertillicum Wilt, and if so I know there's nothing to be done :( ( I hope the links for the pics bellow work,if not I'll try again)

The plant is dying from the bottom up , limp leaves & stems, discoloration of leaves and the soil remains damp eventhough it looks like it's dying of thirst ! (I've also noticed that the excess water which drains off smells pretty bad !)

Why did this happen ?
    I've read that V Wilt is a soil bound bacteria, could this have come from the potting soil I used ? I've been using (shame on me) the cheap potting soil from the local garden centre...

I've even used the same soil for my toms,which, aren't doing well either, I suspect they've got fusarium wilt (I'm on a roll here !)

Could all this be down to the soil ?

Thanks for your ideas...

http://yfrog.com/1qhpim1686j

http://yfrog.com/1ahpim1689j

http://yfrog.com/2dhpim1688j

2. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Sorry to hear and see your cu`s Helen...sad.. but I thank you for the post as It had educated me into something I should be looking for on my cucumbers which I`m glad to say are looking good at the moment
    robert

3. helen

helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hope they continue ! nothing better than a home grown cucumber,tastes so much better than the supermarkets ones !

4. helen

helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well my cucumber died completely in less than 48hrs !
    It would seem after all that i was neck rot...
    Only visible after having pulled it out, the soft brown part of the neck was just under the soil line so not visible at all before pulling it out...
    The leaves themselves were beginning to smell bad and all this in only 48hrs...

any idea what causes neck rot ?