1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cucumber plants and slugs

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by trace2502, Aug 15, 2014.

1. trace2502

trace2502 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I'm new to growing tomato's and cucumber's etc and hate killing anything - my Father has told me that you shouldn't eat cucumber's if the outer skin has been 'nibbled' by slugs or snails as they're then poisonous, is there any truth to this - silly question I know??? Any, is there any humane way of keeping the critters away other than copper tape - which has failed miserably! Any advice would be gratefully received - especially as I want to offload some cucumber's tomorrow is they are indeed edible...

Many thanks in anticipation...

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,155
    Hello and welcome to the forum trace :)

Cucumbers aren't poisonous after being nibbled by slugs, just that they don't look very appetising. Also it can lead to other pests and diseases getting in.

Where are you growing them? In a greenhouse it's a bit easier to keep them away, have a good look late at night and early morning - they are easy to spot by the slime trails then pick off. You don't have to kill them, just move them somewhere else a long way away from your plants.

3. Ramshackle

Ramshackle Gardener

Ratings:
    +46
    Make them very very drunk a few feet away with a saucer. Even if they do die they die a better death than they deserve.
    Also u can munch cucumbers it doesn't matter how pretty they are. Cut off ugly bits.

4. Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya Trace and welcome to GC:dbgrtmb:

Yep munch away no problem:blue thumb:...I lost 3 Cucumber plants to slugs and snails:gaah:

I tried all sorts to save the last 2 plants and resorted to making 'salt collars' for them...bit of a faff but at least the plants survived:dbgrtmb:

P1050535.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • trace2502

trace2502 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +2
      Thank you all so much for the reassurance and am very very grateful, trust me :-) I'll deliver to recipients the recipients tomorrow as planned... I did try collecting the critters and lugging them round to the front garden as I'm sure it's more than 10m (a distance I'd picked up on this year) but the wee lovelies trundled back again - tried to convince my husband that they needed to go for a ride in the car as I don't drive but he was spookily not receptive to that idea... I have a walk in greenhouse which is ideal for them but not me :-( I love the idea of getting them drunk!!! I'm a veggie and just genuinely can't kill anything be it slug, snail or ever wasp (and I hate them) unlike my Father... Thank you all once again and thank you for making me so welcome, have a great weekend and keep smiling!!!

• Like Like x 2
      • Ramshackle

Ramshackle Gardener

Ratings:
        +46
        Little alcohol trap, and they kill themselves gorging.