1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

cucumber plants

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by slugbug, Jun 1, 2005.

1. slugbug

slugbug Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I have had 2 attempts of growing cucumbers and both have failed.I don't know what I am doing wrong?Please see previous questions I have posted.
    Can I have some advise. I dont know wether I will be too late to purchase one tomorrow and maybe 3rd time lucky.
    Jacqui

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,995
    Yeah, have another go. F1 hybrid cucumbers are very susceptable to cold nights, draughts etc. they like a close humid atmosphere.
    I used to find early grown plants easily died off befoe they really got going, as its warmed up now your chances of sucsess should be better.

3. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,931
    When you get some, get an all female variety, saves a lot of time removing male flowers.

Nathan.

4. Pauline Adams

Pauline Adams Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have grown Petita Cucumbers for several years. They are all female and just romp away, producing small, sweet cucumbers. I have grown them both in large pots and growbags...they do need lots of water.
    This year I am trying Passandra...hope they are as good.
    Hope you succeed. Best of Luck
    Pauline

5. slugbug

slugbug Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all for your advice,
    I managed to buy 2 more plants today although the choice was limited.

I have bought my 3rd attempt at cucumber plants
    I have ended up with FI mini cucumber and F1
    Kitchen cucumber pepinix.
    Are these female ones? the guy at the garden centre said they were.
    My previous ones actually were called F1 all female. I have put one in the growbag and one in the ground.
    What is the best way to water them. I have auto watering for weekends when I am away. Should the leaves get wet or should they get water from below?
    I need all the help I can get now.They have to survive. I have better luck with my patients.
    Jacqui

6. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,995
    I think you've got to be careful with the watering until they are established, especially when is cool cloudy weather.