1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cucumbers, Dwarf Beans & Peppers in plastic greenhouse, What is your experiences?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Aaron Johnston, May 31, 2022.

1. Aaron Johnston

Aaron Johnston Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    How do you find growing peppers, dwarf beans and cucumbers in a plastic greenhouse?

Are the fluctuations in temperature effecting your yield or the health of these plants?
    These are all heat loving plants so it would be amazing to see how everyone has a slightly different experience with them considering the wide array of different weather we get in the UK. I am in Northern Ireland and I believe we have our own mini climate.

What is your own experiences with these plants in a plastic greenhouse? I own a plastic greenhouse myself so those with glass greenhouse can dig in here also as it's still same concepts.

Let's see pictures of your plastic greenhouse's with these plants if possible? I want to see it all.

It would be nice to see this as a post that educates beyond the normal everyday post on these types of questions. Look forward to hearing everyone's experiences and tips and tricks.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,139
    I only have glass greenhouses. I used to grow normal runner beans inside but they do take over, ok if you like the jungle effect. Trouble with runner beans is they need insects to pollinate and they didn't always succeed inside. I now grow french beans inside a 8x6 greenhouse that is heavy shaded by neighbour's trees. French beans don't need insects so I get a good crop, always much earlier than my outside runners.

I grow cucumbers alongside tomatoes and peppers in the other two greenhouses. One is 8x8 the other is 12x8. Cucumbers always do well and are generally trouble free provided you go for an F1 all female variety.

The size and position of the greenhouses makes a big difference to what I can grow. The smaller ones suffer from getting too hot, cucumbers and peppers don't mind that. It's bad for beans though.

Auto vents and big doors help. As I said the smallest is in shade so is ok for beans. On the other two, which get full sun, I use bamboo blinds draped over the roof. I have used a shading white special paint but I had trouble cleaning it off during the less sunny months. You may be limited about how to shade a plastic one, in full sun and if it's small it may get too hot. Definitely get a max/min thermometer, I have them in mine with a base station in my kitchen so I can track the temps easier, it is an old cheap Oregon Scientific system but does the job.

I am a novice with peppers even though I have grown them for over 10 years, I just plonk them in and treat them like a tomato which is probably why I never get much of a crop. I'm trying to follow what others do on here to improve, we have a separate thread for chillies and peppers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +18,155
      I have grown peppers and tomatoes successfully in a plastic green house, they always did well but it was in a very sheltered spot, which was a sun trap on a warm summer day, and seemed to retain the heat at night.
      I haven't got the plastic greenhouse any more because it went full of holes and the frame rusted so I now grow them in a perspex shelter on the north side of my old 'garage' (now converted into a shed) They seem to enjoy it in the perspex shelter and I get good crops.

I've always grown my cucumber in the same perspex shelter, p
      art of it is shady and the cucumbers grow happily there.

I grow other plants in the perspex shelters as well as the tomatoes cucumber and peppers. These include cacti and many 'house plants' and they all seem to thrive side by side ... although having said that the north shelter has some shady parts so I place the plants in the positions they would like - the tomatoes and peppers in the sunnier bits.

Unfortunately I haven't got photos, I only tend to take photos of flowers and cacti ...
      I live in south west of Wales, we get lots of rain but when the sun shines in summer time it gets very hot.

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
        Last edited: May 31, 2022
      • john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +8,295
        P1010058.JPG

I have Two more plastic houses bought from Wilko, no problem growing Tomatoes & Cucumbers.

• Like Like x 4
        • john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +8,295
          P1010057.JPG

• Like Like x 4
          • JWK

Ratings:
            +46,139
            These were taken last year, the smallest 6x8 on the left originally I grew only cucumbers in there but over the years it has become shaded by trees so I use it only for French Beans now. The other two have the bamboo blinds draped over them to help keep the heat down:
            20210603_212331.jpg

• Like Like x 2
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • JWK

Ratings:
              +46,139
              Inside the shaded 8X6 in early June 2021, the French beans planted out (salad crops lower down):

20210607_164637.jpg

Inside the 8x8 Aug last year, Melons and Cucumbers:
              20210829_104231.jpg

Mainly tomatoes inside the 12x8 last year in early august:
              20210805_075234.jpg

• Like Like x 3
              • Friendly Friendly x 1