1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

cucumbers

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Neil, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Neil

Neil Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone tell me why the leaves on my cucumber plant always look unhealthy?The fruits look to be growing strong at the moment but the leaves look a bit off putting.Any advice would be truly welcome. Thanks

2. sallyann

sallyann Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Neil,
    How often do you water your cucumbers?
    Are they in a greenhouse ? or outside?
    Mine are in the greenhouse, about 2 foot high now, half a dozen flower heads on each plant.
    i only water when they are just getting slighty dry, and am feeding with tomorite feed every second watering, they are in growbags this year not impressed though may try outside next year,
    but i like to try different ideas each year,
    will take the tops out soon.

good luck.

3. cathysue

cathysue Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi everyone
    The cucumber jungle (one plant) that the kids are growing on the window sill only manages to support 2 cuccumbers at a time all the rest shrivel up however the current 2 cucumber are growing approx 2cm per day. The 6ft tall triffid has about 2 pints of water per day and has had to be tied to my curtain pole. I chopped off the bottom few leaves as they had gone all brown in between the veins (don't know what that signifies)however the cucumbers are delicious. And more will no doubt grow once the current two have been chopped off, as there are plenty of cucumber embryos to be seen. :cool:

4. Grottybags

Grottybags Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My cucumber plants (outdoor marketmore's) looked grossly unhealthy for weeks. I figured it might have been that cold snap with the bitter winds so persevered.

I now have plants that are growing really healthy (and tasty) fruit, although some of the bottom leaves still look white, but that's now not worrying me.

They are drinking about 10 litres of water twice a week at the moment and I've read you get better fruit if you don't allow the soil to dry out.

HTH

Emma

[ 13. July 2005, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: Grottybags ]

5. slugbug

slugbug Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    After 2 tries of growing cucumbers in my greenhouse this yr my 3rd time was lucky thanks to all the helpful advice from this web site.
    Thank you for all your positive advice I now have 3 healthy cucumber plants.
    I am tying them up as they grow I have one in a grow bag on the bench and two others in the soil, so all at different stages. My 3rd one was one that I thought had failed but it did eventually recover after I bought 2 more.
    QUESTION what do you pinch out and why as I havn't done that, they are all growing and producing lots of fruit. We have eaten 3 cucumbers from plant 1 in the grow bag, I have been giving them tomato feed about 1 x weekly and lots of water every day.
    Been very busy with work reasantly so not been on the site much Sorry.
    Happy gardening enjoy the hot spell.
    Ill be boating and BBQ at weekend & enjoying a glasss of wine away from work HURRAY.
    All the best Jacqui

6. Grottybags

Grottybags Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    No idea about the pinching out. Not done it yet and, as with you, things are going so well I'm not going to start.

Emma